logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JamesH  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:21:06 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
James 

The reason I did not respond to your post on metaphors is that you where contradicting your self all over the place, if a person cannot understand that a LANGUAGE such as Hebrew is LITERAL and CONCRET.          Can not!    Be a metaphor!

The   METAPHOR only exists when the Hebrew language is   TRANSLATED. to  the GREEK/ENGLISH.     LANGUAGE

The  GREEK/ ENGLISH.     LANGUAGE and way of thinking is abstract or metaphor.

When people start making metaphors of metaphors you wind up with religions or misunderstood or improper translations
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:38:26 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Once again you have stated your opinion as fact, and have failed to address the evidence presented.

If I am contradicting myself give an example. If I am mistranslated a verse or a word provide evidence.

I demonstrated using evidence (definitions from various lexicons and dictionaries) and reason (context) that you twisted, distorted and misrepresented the Hebrew of Ba'reshiyth 49:17. I also showed using the same evidence and reasoning that what was was being conveyed in Ba'reshiyth 49:17 was a metaphor (a figure of speech that describes a subject by asserting that it is, on some point of comparison, the same as another otherwise unrelated object).

Why do you not address the evidence and reasoning presented and at least attempt to refute it.

You say that I was contradicting myself all over the place, give examples?

You say there is no metaphor in the verse, show me where my translation is wrong using evidence, show me either:

a) That I misrepresented what the dictionaries and lexicons say
or
b) That the dictionaries and lexicons I used are wrong. And if so why and which are more accurate.

You say that they are only metaphors in Greek and English, but that is not true. Unless Dan literary existed as a nâchâsh (snake), and literally existed as a shephı̂yphôn (viper), and literary nâshak(bit) sûs(horses) ‛âqêb (heels) so that the riders fell back then it is a metaphor.

Unless the Dan being spoken of was a snake then this is a metaphor, and given the context we know that Dan was the son of Ya'aqob, which pretty much rules out any chance that he was literally a snake. You have done nothing short of one attempt, where I demonstrated that you mistranslated most every word, to show how this is not a metaphor. So for you to state again that their are no metaphors in Hebrew just shows how pointless discussing anything with you is.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline JamesH  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:47:31 AM(UTC)
JamesH

James 

Your contradiction comes when you agree and state that Hebrew is a literal and concrete language and then say, "it's a metaphor"

The statements I have made are not my opinion, they come from any basic language study.

Please look up what a  " literal " language is , the definition actually says, " not a metaphor "

You are also not understanding the use of the  " Figure of speech  "    The figure of speech is in our Greek /English  language translated from the literal Hebrew.

You also contradicted your self when you said Hebrew  parent root words define the understanding of the child roots and then you do not use the parent root in " YOUR badly twisted translation of metaphors"

Until you understand the difference between the two simple words
Literal
And 
Metaphor

Your reasoning  and your translations will be flawed

Hebrew language, " literal, concrete"

Greek/English  language, " metaphor, abstract "

The only reason we can use the Hebrew language today is because it is concrete and has NOT changed!

No abstract metaphor!      No circular reasoning !     In the Hebrew  """"""" LANGUAGE """""""

please understand the difference between the two languages and quit accusing me of making something up as my opinion.

Seems like what you posted is opinion  
Offline dajstill  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:58:33 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
JamesH,

It seems you could have really buffered your case by actually answering the question posed by James. Your response is actually proving the case James originally made about you. Now, I know we aren't to really respect man given titles and credentials, but my PhD is actually in the area you are mentioning and your statement by saying the only reason we can interpret Hebrew today is because it is concrete makes absolutely no logical sense at all. Every language has metaphors, every single recorded and oral language that is known to mankind today has some type of metaphors that are a part of it. Rather the metaphors are concrete (one-to-one) or abstract (one metaphor can represent many different things) may be an issue, but they all have metaphors nonetheless.

But again, by simply answering the question James posed to you regarding Dan would really bolster your case and make it seem like you aren't just arguing for argument sake.
Offline JamesH  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:42:35 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Djstill 

With your phd could you post for us the textbook definition of

Literal

And

Metaphor

Not your opinion please

I posted my answer with the Hebrew roots but you didn't like it.
Offline dajstill  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:50:40 AM(UTC)
dajstill

JamesH wrote:
Djstill 

With your phd could you post for us the textbook definition of

Literal

And

Metaphor

Not your opinion please

I posted my answer with the Hebrew roots but you didn't like it.

First, what was your answer to the LITERAL QUESTION about Dan? Is Dan literally a snake? That was a very, very simple question asked of you. It would require a simple "yes" or "no". If you can't answer that, I have no use in posting not only other text, but articles I have published as well as my dissertation.
Offline JamesH  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:38:03 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Djstill.          NO literal snake or metaphor of snake

I answered that question in post #72 in many messiahs using literal Hebrew roots

You are the one claiming to have a phd in Hebrew language.

What is the textbook definition of

Literal?
Metaphor?

Not your opinion please
Offline dajstill  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:45:36 AM(UTC)
dajstill

JamesH wrote:
Djstill.          NO literal snake or metaphor of snake

I answered that question in post #72 in many messiahs using literal Hebrew roots

You are the one claiming to have a phd in Hebrew language.

What is the textbook definition of

Literal?
Metaphor?

Not your opinion please

So, Genesis/Bereshith 49:17 does NOT contain the word "nahash", translated to English meaning "serpent" and more modern venacular "snake". So, there was no word "nahash" in Hebrew in Genesis/Bereshith 49:17? Again, a simple "yes" or "no" to start. If your version of Genesis 49:17 doesn't say "nahash", what does it say?
Offline JamesH  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:56:54 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Djstill

Its ok if you don't understand the definitions. You don't have to answer.

I gave the answers to your question that you asked of me. 
Offline dajstill  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:06:40 AM(UTC)
dajstill

JamesH wrote:
Djstill

Its ok if you don't understand the definitions. You don't have to answer.

I gave the answers to your question that you asked of me. 

No, you didn't. You say "no literal and no metaphor snake"

Okay, than what was it "literally"?

You accuse me of not understanding a definition to a word you didn't even give - that is just silly. What was the word? Was the word "nahash"? If the word is "nahash" what does it mean? If the word isn't "nahash" what is the word? How is this hard for you?
Offline James  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:42:23 AM(UTC)
James
Man

JamesH wrote:
James

Your contradiction comes when you agree and state that Hebrew is a literal and concrete language and then say, "it's a metaphor"

I said that Hebrew is a concrete language in that its understanding of words are derived from concrete understanding of things, yes, but that does not preclude the ability to use the words that are derived from concrete understandings being used to create metaphors. The word nachas is derived from the word for hiss because serpents hiss, nachas is a concrete word derived from a concrete understanding BUT THEN you take that word and put it with other words and form a sentence, certain combinations of words are put together in order to draw a comparison between two objects which are similar, but not the same, and sometimes (frequently in Scripture) those words are put together where one is said to be another when they are not in fact the same but share some trait, we tend to call this type of sentence a metaphor (probably because it is easier to say metaphor than to say a literary figure of speech that describes a subject by asserting that it is, on some point of comparison, the same as another otherwise unrelated object.)

So it is not a contradiction at all. Hebrew words are concrete, but then those words get put into sentences and sentences can be metaphors.

JamesH wrote:
The statements I have made are not my opinion, they come from any basic language study.

I just spent the last twenty minutes on Google trying to find where any linguistic scholar states that Hebrew has no metaphors, and could not find a single one, and it appears our linguistic scholar in residence (BigGrin couldn't resist Dajstill) disagrees with you. So for something that comes from the basic language study it seems to me that you are the only person in the world that has come to that conclusion.

The very fact that, as I cited previously, so many Hebrew words have FIGURATIVE definitions listed shows that either you are wrong, or the Hebrew lexicons and dictionaries are wrong. No offense but I am going to go with them and not you.

JamesH wrote:
Please look up what a " literal " language is , the definition actually says, " not a metaphor "

Again you can’t seem to see the forest from the trees. The words are the tress, they are concrete, the forest is sentences, paragraphs and books, they use the concrete words in order to convey ideas, and sometimes metaphors are used to convey those ideas.

JamesH wrote:
You are also not understanding the use of the " Figure of speech " The figure of speech is in our Greek /English language translated from the literal Hebrew.

This is a ridiculous statement, a metaphor is there or it isn't, either the words used create a metaphor or they do not. If there is no metaphor in the Hebrew than you can not translate it into a metaphor without it being a mistranslation. So if you are saying that my translation is errant it is incumbent upon you to do what I have been asking you to do all along, show me how my translation is wrong. You have failed to address the translation; you have not even attempted to show that my translation is wrong using evidence. You have stated it is wrong, but not provided a single source, I on the other hand have cited as source the most well-known and respected Hebrew lexicons and dictionaries in the world.

Why do you not do as I have done and address point by point everything I have written to you? Is it because you are unable to?

JamesH wrote:
You also contradicted your self when you said Hebrew parent root words define the understanding of the child roots and then you do not use the parent root in " YOUR badly twisted translation of metaphors"

I have not ignored the Hebrew root in my translation; I just did not replace the word with its root as you do. I addressed the Hebrew root of most every word and explained how it informed us as to the nature of the word. You however seem to see no need to bother with the word written on the page and instead choose to only look at the root. That is unless the word written fits your agenda.

Why do you insist that nachas is serpent literally in the Garden, but then in 49:17 you say it is the verb root that is meant even though a noun derived word is written?

JamesH wrote:
Until you understand the difference between the two simple words
Literal
And
Metaphor

I understand the difference, you just can’t seem to understand the difference between words and sentences and ideas conveyed through them.

JamesH wrote:
Your reasoning and your translations will be flawed

Hebrew language, " literal, concrete"

Greek/English language, " metaphor, abstract "

I am still waiting for you to show me how my translation is flawed. And I mean using evidence, not just stating it because my translation differs with your understanding.

JamesH wrote:
The only reason we can use the Hebrew language today is because it is concrete and has NOT changed!

Actually modern Hebrew and Scriptural Hebrew are very different languages. The Hebrew language has changed a lot over time.

JamesH wrote:
No abstract metaphor! No circular reasoning ! In the Hebrew """"""" LANGUAGE """""""

please understand the difference between the two languages and quit accusing me of making something up as my opinion.

Seems like what you posted is opinion

It is your opinion because you have not been able to back it up with any evidence. And the circular reasoning is on your part, I have cited evidence for everything I have stated, you have not offered a shred of evidence for you position.

If you are saying that my translation of 49:17 is errant I challenge you to do what we said we would do earlier and as I have consistently done, and address point by point using EVIDENCE what I wrote.

Offline JamesH  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:13:37 AM(UTC)
JamesH

James or Djstill 

Could one or both please post the definition of LITERAL

James you will be able to find on line that Hebrew is a literal language 

Definition of literal?

Translations can not even begin to be discussed untill we can agree on the definition of literal.
Offline JamesH  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:43:35 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Offline dajstill  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:24:54 AM(UTC)
dajstill

JamesH wrote:
James or Djstill 

Could one or both please post the definition of LITERAL

James you will be able to find on line that Hebrew is a literal language 

Definition of literal?

Translations can not even begin to be discussed untill we can agree on the definition of literal.

The definition of "literal" doesn't matter. The simple question I put before you is: Was the word "nahash" used in your version of Genesis 49:17? Again, these are simple questions that shouldn't take back and forth over several posts.
Offline JamesH  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:52:11 AM(UTC)
JamesH

dajstill wrote:
The definition of "literal" doesn't matter. The simple question I put before you is: Was the word "nahash" used in your version of Genesis 49:17? Again, these are simple questions that shouldn't take back and forth over several posts.

Djstill 

I gave you the answer in post 7

With a phd in language you should understand that the word  " literal " means everything when translating a literal Language such as Hebrew.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/literal

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._and_figurative_language
Offline dajstill  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:13:00 AM(UTC)
dajstill

JamesH wrote:
Djstill 

I gave you the answer in post 7

With a phd in language you should understand that the word  " literal " means everything when translating a literal Language such as Hebrew.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/literal

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._and_figurative_language

No, you didn't mention it in post #7 - you half answered the question. Again, why is this so hard for you. Does the word "nahash" appear in Genesis 49:7. If not, what is the word, in Hebrew and English, that does appear. Why can't you answer a simple question with a direct answer. All I am asking is WHAT DOES YOUR VERSION SAY for Genesis 49:7. If we aren't working from the same Hebrew/English the conversation is mute. What does it say?

Edited by moderator Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:06:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: fixes quotes

Offline InHisName  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:45:29 AM(UTC)
InHisName

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 46 post(s)

Excuse me for stepping in at this late date, but I hope I can be of some help. JH, I believe you are confusing ‘literal language’ with ‘A literal language. ‘A literal language’ does not exist. If you can find evidence of ‘A literal language’, please post it. It is not incumbent on others to prove your statements.

The definitions you posted talk of ‘literal language’ or using a language (any language) with an intended use of the literal meaning of the words. There is nothing there that implies that A language can only be used literally.

If anything Scriptural Hebrew is as close as any language could be to a figurative (or metaphorical) language. It’s words gain their literal meaning from the figurative extrapolation of their roots. You have used this fact to your own advantage in attempting to make the Text say what you want. But if the author, let us not forget it was Yah who chose what word was used, wanted to use the root instead of the word, I think he would have.

Edited by moderator Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:06:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: fixes quotes

Offline needhelp  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:46:20 AM(UTC)
needhelp

James H is deploying one of Satan's tricks-- keeping our attention on him and away from Yahowah. Stealing and wasting our time.
I think we should all use our James' earlier advice-- just ignore him.
Offline James  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:17:35 PM(UTC)
James
Man

JamesH,

I will repeat myself one more time. What the word literal and what the word metaphor mean are as Dajstill has pointed out, irrelevant. You are the only one arguing that the whole of the Hebrew language is literal. I am rejecting your premise that the whole language is literal, as is everyone else. We all agree on the definitions of literal and metaphorical, and figurative, it is the application of these words which are disagreeing over.

Words are concrete and literal. The word snake in English has but one literal definition, it is concrete as you would say. But then I take that word and put it into a sentence, James is a snake, and it becomes a part of a metaphor. The same is true in Hebrew, the Hebrew word nachas has a concrete literal definition, but then I put it into the sentence Dan hayah nachas, and it becomes a part of a metaphor.

Like I said earlier, trees and forest. Words are like trees solid, concrete if you will, but those words exist within a forest which is not solid. The forest is sentences, paragraphs, and books all to convey ideas.

So again I ask you to focus like a laser beam and address the points made in regard to 49:17, please show us how this is not a metaphor.

If you are unable or unwilling to do this, then based on that and the numerous complaints I have received from forum members I would ask that you please just leave this forum. You have become a distraction no longer worth tolerating.

Offline cgb2  
#20 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:46:25 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
James wrote:
JamesH,
If you are unable or unwilling to do this, then based on that and the numerous complaints I have received from forum members I would ask that you please just leave this forum. You have become a distraction no longer worth tolerating.

Since this whole metaphor argument, was a failed attempt to pin down a specific easily demonstrable and obvious smaller point of a broader discussion. I concur.

The purpose of this forum is to discuss scripture, and in the context of YY (ItG, QP). Since these writings have tons of examples of Yahowsha in T/P/P, much trustworthy-although poorly maintained-in the NT, rejection of Paul's letters - but not the entire NT, etc. It is clear that JamesH's views depart in a major way from the purposes of this forum. Worse, it seems many newbies attracted here from Shattering Myths, etc, might confuse his statements as general YY forum opinion or Yada's books. Seems to clearly have crossed the line of posting in opposition to the purpose of this forum, which many of us see as a refuge and a place for fellowship.

JamesH wrote:

Topic: Isaiah 7:14
JamesH Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2012 10:48:03 PM
Yes dajstill taking away the nt and focusing on the Torah is what changed my mind.

In the Torah Yah saved (yahowsha) the Children of Israel literally, and Yah literally fulfilled the first five Feast and Festavals.

I am guilty of being a teacher and a Deacon of the nt for many years in a missionary baptist church and it makes Me ill when I think what I taught people, "Paul, the Law done away , GRACE but be good and tithe, the lords supper,it goes on and on."

I've read and listened to everything Yada and KP have written since 2007 and thank them for starting me on my journey to seek YHWH and I found YHWH in his Torah. "not in the nt"

I retired a year ago at 55 and have spent a lot of time studying how the nt came about," founding fathers, original papyrus, church history, emblem symbolism ,on and on. I did not find YHWH in the nt. I found Ha Baal

And now as cgb2 would say get to the point ;)

I no longer believe that YHWH Saves came in 33ce or was a sacrificial lamb or hung on a pole on and on.

YHWH saves through His Covenant agreement, "literally" in His Torah!

Jim H

It's getting so obnoxious that for the last month or so any discussion of Yahowsha in 33CE or NT gets assaulted with "NT/Yahawsha = ha Baal", only to get bogged down in the futility of trying to pin down to specific points that can be discussed. Seems the tactics hasn't changed much from a teacher/deacon, where people should just submit without question to a "spiritual authority" no matter how poorly they explain, evade, obsfucate.

If we wanted to entertain or research these views we could go to many websites about Rabbinical, Karaite, Edomite religions. Even the "counter missionary" articles link JamesH posted from thejewishhome.org.

JamesH wrote:

Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:19:36 PM
Hi, My name is Jim. I was part of a Baptist Church for about 10 years the last 4 as a Deacon. I did a word study on Grace that changed my whole view on Religon. I left the church. It almost destroyed what little relationship I had with God. About 2 1/2 years ago I heard Yada on KMJ580. The Host almost could'nt get Yada off the air fast enough, But it was long enough for me to find POD. I have read and listened to almost every thing there and know who I Trust and Rely on. I would like to thank Yah for Yada and KP's work. I have been on the forum for a long time. This took me a long time to type because when I went to school typing was not in all the shop classes. I enjoy reading on the forum because this is the only fellowship I have. I have told many people about YHWH's name and POD. They seem to not want to hear it. So I thank Yah again that I do have Brothers and Sisters at this forum. Jim
Offline JamesH  
#21 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:57:55 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Thank you all here at YY forum, I am sorry if I have offended any of you here.

I had some very important questions I needed to resolve and you have helped me do that.

Although many here just called me names, most of you did address the issues and I thank you for that.

The name that got me the best was satan because King David was called satan in 1 Samuel  29 :4

But the part I'm confused with is, " am I a snake , deceive eve, bite horses on the heels, or am I really the anti Christ "

It's quite obvious my views are not welcome here so I won't bother you any more.

But I would like to leave one last question.

Exodus chapter12

26 And it shall be, when your children say to you, ‘What do you mean by this service?’

27 that you shall say, ‘It is the Passover sacrifice of YHWH, who passed over the houses of the children of Israel in Egypt when He struck the Egyptians and delivered our households.’” So the people bowed their heads and worshiped. 28 Then the children of Israel went away and did so; just as YHWH had commanded Moses and Aaron, so they did.

Are these verses literal or metaphor?

Thanks again
Jim Haar
Offline tagim  
#22 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:02:48 PM(UTC)
tagim
Man

JimH, help me out, here. I have been reading for what seems like an eternity the questions asked by and of you, the play action going back and forth. I tried to follow along. To me it seems like threads were started, broken, discussed, broken -- and always there is a request for you to answer simple questions. I note that you have been here for almost five years. for all that time spent here, you must be very familiar with how it works. Snubbing this site will not bring you the answers you seek.
Offline cgb2  
#23 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 1:55:04 PM(UTC)
cgb2

cgb2 wrote:

The purpose of this forum is to discuss scripture, and in the context of YY (ItG, QP). Since these writings have tons of examples of Yahowsha in T/P/P, much trustworthy-although poorly maintained-in the NT, rejection of Paul's letters - but not the entire NT, etc. It is clear that JamesH's views depart in a major way from the purposes of this forum. Worse, it seems many newbies attracted here from Shattering Myths, etc, might confuse his statements as general YY forum opinion or Yada's books. Seems to clearly have crossed the line of posting in opposition to the purpose of this forum, which many of us see as a refuge and a place for fellowship.

I was out of line, I should know better, there are no "orthodox" views here. Nor was that even the issue. Sorry folks.
Offline FredSnell  
#24 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 2:57:38 PM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
^
Well just great, Chuck. Now what do I do with my little curly sideburns?..)))...nothing to be sorry for, bro!
Offline Steve in PA  
#25 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:05:35 PM(UTC)
Steve in PA

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.
Offline cgb2  
#26 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:02:11 AM(UTC)
cgb2

encounterHim wrote:
^
Well just great, Chuck. Now what do I do with my little curly sideburns?..)))...nothing to be sorry for, bro!

Yeah Fred, along with the silly tephilin and clown outfit. You'll find out it's a lot easier to type without the head bobbing too. BigGrin
Offline cgb2  
#27 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:30:55 AM(UTC)
cgb2

eh steve wrote:
He was as lame as a duck.....

Yeah ES, so glad we won't be tortured anymore.

I shudder to think of where he was going with the cosmic-guru 1st Sam parting statement "David is satan" thing. Imagine the tortuous threads begging to be specific, satan simply means "adversary", questioning Dowd/army as a reliable ally, and Yahowah didn't say this anyway...only to be ignored, subject changed, zooming back out Yahowsha/NT=haBAAL, Wake up etc!. Only after many tangents to find out the point was probably: David is Satan > Psalms were wrote by satan > this discounts any messianic references (Psalms 2, 22,etc) > Yahowsha/NT = ha BAAL. Per the usual giant leaps.

Then the Exodus verse as standalone - nevermind the pointless details ignored during ritual "doing and obeying"; blood on upright pillar, by fire, no bones broken, consumed by morning, etc. No point to the symbolism, metaphors, etc. And man, If he actually does a lamb on an altar in his back yard, I hope he does better with the typical poor english translations that seem to say roast the lamb with the guts in (instead of nearby)...else we might be reading about multiple food poisonings in CA. Yuck.