logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dajstill  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2012 2:17:56 PM(UTC)
dajstill

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Anyone else ready to jump out of window because people keep saying God had Tim Tebow win the game last night? And the fact that he threw for 316 yards (John 3:16 is Tebow's favorite scripture). I knew I shouldn't have, but I got into a heated discussion with several Christians over whether or not God had Tebow win. According to them, God had him win the game because so many people looked up John 3:16 after the game - so God used him as a missionary. When I pointed out there were Christians on the other team - thus indicating God had them "lose" they said it was because Tebow could affect more people. Really?
Of course, my response was that if God were into rewarding people that get converts - the 911 terrorist are sitting pretty well since most churches were filled to capacity after 911. Therefore, if it is strictly about collecting converts - where is their reward?
There is now the "T bow" where kids all over the country are bowing down to pray (in the same stance Tebow does on camera before every game) using the "Tebow mehtod" since it somehow works voodoo magic to help you win football games. This is just crazy!. Now, I am not against Tebow, just the absolute idolatry inherent in Christianity. The thought that God needs a superstar for His will to be accomplished and that he will reward the person who gets the most converts with football wins - ugh!
Offline TRUTH B-TOLD  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:02:36 AM(UTC)
TRUTH B-TOLD
Man

I don't think they are saying that God is rewarding Tebow with football wins, but rather that God is using him to bring glory to himself through Tebow by showing a young man bring praise to god for giving him the abilities that he bless him with. I also don't think that Denver will win it all, so if they don't then the reward of winning football games wouldn't be a reward at all. OWe should remember that God can use anyone to draw others to him, including the terrorist of 911, it's through trails & troubled times that brings people to God. Whether or not those that turn towards him will be fruitful or not & continue the journey with God is what is important, not how or who God uses to draw others to him. The question is can Yahuweh use a christian or a terrorist and their false god's & beliefs to draw others to himself, I believe he can & does.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:28:07 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
This is all I have to say to the Tebow fans out there.

Mat 6:5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the congregations and on the corners of the streets, to be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have their reward.
Mat 6:6 “But you, when you pray, go into your room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place. And your Father who sees in secret shall reward you openly.

Looks to me like he should spend more time studying and less time praying after touchdowns.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline dajstill  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:14:59 AM(UTC)
dajstill

James wrote:
This is all I have to say to the Tebow fans out there.

Mat 6:5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the congregations and on the corners of the streets, to be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have their reward.
Mat 6:6 “But you, when you pray, go into your room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place. And your Father who sees in secret shall reward you openly.

Looks to me like he should spend more time studying and less time praying after touchdowns.

Exactly the point I had tried to make to them James. Their response was "the Bible said we are not to deny 'Christ'" and when I put that scripture out there directly their reply was simply - I disagree because the Bible also says don't deny Him and give Him thanks. If even Yahoshua must take a back seat to Tim Tebow and his interpretation - wow. The twisting of scripture is what is just getting to me. I tried to explain that simply - God is not about picking winners and losers in football games. There are plenty of Christians in the NFL (yes, there are more non Christian, but still) - some do signs after the score (thats another issue), but others simply practice their faith with the fanfare. And who can forget Reggie White, who was known as the "Minister of Defense" because he was so a strong Christian who also became a minister. Christians don't talk about Reggie White anymore - want to know why? Because he said he was believing things because people told him and he wanted to learn the truth for himself. He went so far as to learn Hebrew and travel to Israel so he could read the Scriptures, in Hebrew, with his own eyes. Guess what - he found Yah! He began to openly (but gently) denounce the false teachings in Christianity. Christians began to label him as "crazy" and said that he "lost of faith" but hopefully he would return "to God". When he died they went about bemoaning the fact that he may have died "without Christ". The read story behind his death (accounted by his wife) is that they were driving home and Reggie looked into the sky. He told his wife - "I think God is going to do something tonight", that night he went to sleep and died. So, Christians are buying Tebow jersey's by the truck full because he makes an open show of his faith, yet when someone who was a Christian and a minister dug deep in the Scriptures - in Hebrew, to learn the truth that labeled "crazy", mocked and pitied him, and even insinuated his death might have been the vengeance of God. I think about that fact that I and so many other football fans could have found Yah so much sooner through the true witness of Reggie White - but it was Christians that labeled him a heretic! I remember being encouraged to not dig to deep into scripture in case you get "deceived" with Reggie White as the "guy who went crazy" in which to scare folks.

Truth, I understand the point, but it doesn't add up under scrutiny. Who gave the gifts to the players that don't thank God? The Christian concept has become as of late - they we can tell how much you love God by how "blessed" you are. These Christians were explicitly saying that God is giving Tebow victory because Tebow is being a good "missionary". They went so far as to say God may even take them to the Super Bowl so that Tebow can continue to witness. They have gone into numerology by saying God had him throw for 316 yards. There are young athletes that now prayer in the "T bow" so that the "football God" can help them win games too. They are attaching themselves to Tebow because Tebow openly draws attention to himself.

How would you feel if you went to a restaurant and the waitress thanked God for every spoon she set down on the table, every time she poured a drink she thanked "her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ", every time she wrote down an order to said over the loud speaker how she thanked God for giving her the ability to write with a pen and paper. What about going to the dentist and she feeling the need to thank God (loudly) for every tooth in your mouth she checked? How is that not different from Tebow? It is a show.

Now, I am not saying one shouldn't be bold in their faith and thank God for what we are able to do. One of the Christians I respect the most in his profession is Dr. Ben Carson - a brain surgeon. It is well known that he prays (alone or with patients that would like) before every surgery. He is clear to his patients not to look to him as a miracle worker. But he doesn't jump around like a crazy man and do a "God pose" every time he has a successful surgery. I don't think Tebow is a bad guy, I think this is being forced on him. He is getting more and more manic in his profession of faith - like it is a requirement. All eyes are on him while his team winning or losing being a sign of his relationship with God. That is not fair for any person, let alone such a young man. He faith is on public debate now - being largely mocked by non-Christians and the main reason is the idolatry many Christians surrounded him with. Buying his jersey "because he is a Christian", rooting for his team "because is is a Christian". Now calling him a "missionary" and attributing his passing for 316 year as a "sign from God" - he is being turned into a cult figure. While this had been going on since he was in college - it has reached the point of crazy now. And of course, now instead of praying as Yahoshua instructed - children are being encouraged "T bow".
Offline Theophilus  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:16:35 AM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Well said James! Do you suppose Tebow believes that his public demonstrations and pronouncements of thanks to his Lord Jesus Christ are truly pleasing to God? Do people truly wish to mimic his gestures and words for temporal earthly gain like sports glory?

FWIW, it seems like he has both drawn both much attention to himself for doing so, as well as much criticism as the Tebow genture appears to me less to sincerely immitate and rather to mock the QB at least among Secular-Humanists.

Respectfully,

-Theophilus
Offline James  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:52:25 AM(UTC)
James
Man

dajstill wrote:
Exactly the point I had tried to make to them James. Their response was "the Bible said we are not to deny 'Christ'" and when I put that scripture out there directly their reply was simply - I disagree because the Bible also says don't deny Him and give Him thanks.

My reply would be, well either the bible contradicts itself or one of us is misunderstanding something. Now since, "when you pray, go into your room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father" is pretty straightforward, let's examine your point. First you have not provided a verse where don't deny Christ is found, I can't address the verse, but let's examine just your words. "Don't deny Christ" Now putting aside the error of Christ, let's look at deny. To deny something you have to be presented with something, Tebow's actions are not a response to someone asking him about Christ, so ceasing them would not be denying Christ. His actions are not done to not deny Christ they are done to draw attention. His not making a scene of praying after every touchdown would not be denying Christ. So by not making a scene of his religiosity he would be both in keeping with Yahowsha's instruction in Matthew 6 and not denying Christ, but by making a scene of it he is ignoring Yahowsha's instruction.

Now most likely that response would fall on deaf ears, but that's what I would say.

Offline dajstill  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:50:05 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Great reply James! I am actually so grateful for my interactions with them - it helps me continue to see more clearly the issues I have with Christianity. To start at John 3:16 is to dangle the benefit of Yahowah and not the relationship with Him. What is everlasting life? Why would someone want it? Christians know the people are expecting a "paradise", they aren't "getting saved" to have a relationship with Yah, they are getting "saved" to live forever (or to avoid hell). Having the first introduction to God be about living forever and not burning in hell - without introducing 1) to God and 2) the covenant, and 3) the Torah - it makes John 3:16 seem nothing more than a sales pitch.
However, from my studying converts was always the ultimate goal of Christianity. It is a numbers game - win people, get people to call themselves "Christians" and once they have defined themselves as a "Christian", the religion then defines what being a Christian means.
None of my Christian friends and many of the Christians I know don't want to discuss Scripture and what it really means - even if we use the KJV They have been told their bible isn't necessary once you get pass John 3:16. If you get "saved" first - then later get introduced to the Torah - you read it as a nice to know, but with no obligation of knowing it or understanding it because your "already saved" and "already forgiven".

I am amazed at how lost I was as a Christian because I see my old self in my friends - which is why I keep fishing and keep taking the punches. If there is just one of them I can convince to search for themselves it will be worth it. Then I got to see just how deep the problem runs, when I mentioned God didn't care who won the football game someone replied "we don't know what God cares about; Football isn't mentioned in the Bible, but lots of things aren't mentioned. God may care about football because He cares about us, we can't judge people because we don't know what is important to God." My reply was: "Of course we can know what God cares about, its right in the Scriptures. God didn't leave us with ambiguity or unprepared for the 21st Century". I then went on to introduce scripture like: Matthew 22: 37-40. I then mentioned that we go to the Torah to find out HOW to do those 2 Commandments. However, Christians have been convinced to believe that "love God" simply means "believe in Him". They don't know how to love Him because they have never met Him (as in been truly and formally introduced to Him, through His Torah). They have not been told to take the time to "Yada" Him. When those people, several of them, all said we cannot know what God cares about I wanted to cry. He has been trying to tell us what and whom He cares about from the time of Adam.

I then saw Yahowah in action in my own life and I saw just how eager He is about having people Yada Him. I was reading in "Genesis" (sorry, if I tried to spell the actual Hebrew word it would be painful) about Seth. When Hawwah had Seth she said that Yahowah had given her a son to replace Habel. Of course, the blood line had been started through which Yahoshua would need to flow through. It then HIT ME like a ton of bricks the Torah command for a man to marry his brother's wife if that brother were to die without an offspring. Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. Yahowah through that Torah command was letting us know that He had a plan in place and though evil (like Cain killing Habel) would try to disrupt that plan - He had put contingencies in place so that His Will would get done! HalleluYah! I am finding Yahowah, how He thinks, what He cares about, what He wants through His Torah!!! The Plan of Yahowah Will be done and we need to understand that plan through His Torah! I am seeing with my own eyes His Torah was His Promise - His way of introducing Himself to me and letting me know exactly what He has been doing for the last 6,000 since Adam and what He has yet to do. Not just what He did, but why. He is showing me His plan, letting me know His thoughts, His will, His ways. I weep for my Christians friends because they are blindly "serving" a God they do not know and have blindly accepted the premise that they cannot know Him. If only they would stop having people start at John 3:16 - even if it is Tebow's favorite scripture!
Offline James  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:07:34 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Great points all around dajstill. I was having the John 3:16 discussion just the other day. My explanation of 3:16 goes like this. One it the original was not whoever believes in Him, but rather who ever trusts in Him. Second trust requires knowing and understanding. So in order to trust in Him we have to know and understand Him, and there is only one way to do that, His Word. I would also ask them how does God judge rather or not someone trusts Him, or believes in Him for that matter. I would hand them the second chapter of James.

Jas 2:18 But someone might say, “You have belief, and I have works.” Show me your belief without your works, and I shall show you my belief by my works.
Jas 2:19 You believe that Elohim is one. You do well. The demons also believe – and shudder!
Jas 2:20 But do you wish to know, O foolish man, that the belief without the works is dead?
Jas 2:21 Was not Aḇraham our father declared right by works when he offered Yitsḥaq his son on the altar?
Jas 2:22 Do you see that the belief was working with his works, and by the works the belief was perfected?
Jas 2:23 And the Scripture was filled which says, “Aḇraham believed Elohim, and it was reckoned to him for righteousness.” And he was called, “Elohim’s friend.”
Jas 2:24 You see, then, that a man is declared right by works, and not by belief alone.
Jas 2:25 In the same way, was not Raḥaḇ the whore also declared right by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so also the belief is dead without the works.

Note that belief and faith should be trust and rely, I'm using an English translation so....

But as you pointed out for christians it is all a matter of simply proclaiming your belief and calling yourself a christian. Then you get into heaven, which is all they are interested in. They aren't interested in what heaven will be like, they think it will be paradise by there definition. They aren't interested in coming to know God they are interested in avoiding hell. Religion loves the heaven/hell carrot/stick approach. People love religion because religion is simple do this don't do that, say this don't say that, they don't like relationship because relation requires something, it is hard. A relationship requires an investment of time and effort in getting to know someone, of coming to understand them and of coming to know them. In the case of Yahowah that relationship requires spending time in His Towarh because that is the only way that we can know Him. Religion is much simpler, say you believe, go to church every now and then and follow a few rules that the church has given you.

Offline Daniel  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:52:46 AM(UTC)
Daniel

dajstill wrote:
I am amazed at how lost I was as a Christian because I see my old self in my friends - which is why I keep fishing and keep taking the punches. If there is just one of them I can convince to search for themselves it will be worth it.

I have been able to get 5 people to consider "changing their perspective". My wife, kids and my two closest friends. I am working on 5 more people, currently.

It is very painful, but, totally worth it.
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline dajstill  
#10 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 7:55:29 AM(UTC)
dajstill

Speaking again of God and Football - I was looking at a video on YouTube of Neimiah Gordon (who wrote the Greek Jesus versus the Hebrew Y'shua) and saw he had a video of Reggie White (the football player known originally as the "minister of defense"). Curious, I clicked on the video. WOW! Reggie White was trying to learn Hebrew so he could read the scriptures for himself and who did YHWH hook him up with - Mr. Gordon! This is important because while not a believer, Gordon is a Kararite Jew - meaning he deals in the Torah only and no oral traditions of the rabbi. So, if you are going to learn Hebrew, best to learn it from a Karaite than a rabbinical Jew in my view.

Well, I kept looking and found some great video clips of Reggie, including this one: http://www.youtube.com/w...p;NR=1&v=CG9Jok84zYs

One thing even brought out in the ESPN clips I found that were about his "religious" experience and saw that once he started on his journey - he NEVER set foot in a Christian church again! Another interesting nugget was what happened just before his death. He had a dream from YHWH in which he saw a torah scroll and on the scroll was written the word "redeemed" in Hebrew. He died the next day. That would be pretty amazing to have such an experience.

By the end of his journey he was a Torah observant believer in Yahoshua, who didn't belong to any religion of men. He learned Hebrew and went to Israel on several occasions to simply see some things for himself. He also did a lot to expose Christianity in as loving a way as possible - having a heart for the people and a hate of the religion. Of course, he was painted as a heretic and a "wanna be jew" by many Christians.

Just interesting to see YHWH is so consistent and true to His word - when you seek Him you do find Him. The more one studies, the more one can no longer in good conscience stay in the Christian faith. And, there is no "religion" out there for those seeking relationship with YHWH. It just doesn't exist.
Offline tagim  
#11 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 12:48:50 PM(UTC)
tagim
Man

unabashed passion from a reasoned mind. you go, girl.
Offline cgb2  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:46:17 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Yeah tagim, and she comes up with some great quotes too:

dajstill wrote:
...there is no "religion" out there for those seeking relationship with YHWH. It just doesn't exist.

That's a keeper
Offline dajstill  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:31:34 PM(UTC)
dajstill

Thanks guys! You have my husband laughing!
Offline JamesH  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:25:58 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I think the Christian god is quite pleased with Tim Tebow and the likes.
Also the super bowl half time tribute to their god was the most watched ever.
Ha Baal

http://net4surf.com/wp-c...Bowl-Halftime-Show-4.jpg
Offline FredSnell  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:05:02 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Madonna's been here for a while now!...

http://www.metmuseum.org...hi/te_index.asp?i=Africa