logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RidesWithYah  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:31:06 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

(Sent this today. Pardon the NIV -- it's what she's familiar with -- and pray it is received with an open heart.
I fear it may damage our relationship, but what choice do I have but to try? Feedback and prayers appreciated.)
=====================================================================

Mom,

I'm glad you decided to send this note. Since I hadn't heard from you, I've been wondering

whether you watched the videos. I was afraid that the introduction might scare you off, so I

understand your decision.

You say, "I grieve over this whole situation." I ask *why* you grieve. Is it because I am trying

to follow God's commandments? Or because I am not following the traditions of the church?

If you are worried because I am trying to follow God's commandments, don't be. I have not

fallen into "works-based" salvation. No one is saved by keeping the law, all of my works are

but filthy rags, and where I fall short I have been covered by the blood of the lamb. I put my

trust in the words of Yahshuah the Messiah, commonly called Jesus, rather than in the

church's interpretation of Paul's letters, and other traditions.

In practical terms, what's the difference? I keep Yahweh's feasts, which He said we are to

observe "forever, throughout your generations, no matter where you live", instead of the

Roman church's holidays. I rest on the seventh day. And I don't eat some things I used to

enjoy, but really aren't good for me. While different than how I was raised, it's nothing "hard".

Each of these changes have resulted in a tangible, direct blessing in my life. I have lost

fifteen pounds. My blood pressure is down from "borderline high" to solidly "normal". I've had

to buy new jeans, closer to the size I wore in high school. And while the "experts" are saying

that this year is one of the worst for allergies, and Lexington is always notoriously bad for

allergy sufferers, mine have been cured. You remember how miserable I always was in the

summertime -- that did not change until I started eating clean. I've gone from an average of

four sinus infections a year, treated with antibiotics, to *none* in the last two years.

What I am doing is in line with what Jesus taught. I think you usually read from the New

International Version? Feel free to look these up in your own Bible if that's not right. The

"Gospels" record Messiah teaching the Law:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish

them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the

smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law

until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these

commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom

of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in

the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the

Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 5:17-20

Heaven and earth have not disappeared, neither have the commandments that He etched in

stone with his own finger. Several times Messiah was directly asked what was necessary for

salvation. Each time His answer was the same: Keep the commandments. Here's one

example...

A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "Why do

you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. You know the

commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false

testimony, honor your father and mother.'" "All these I have kept since I was a boy," he said.

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and

give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When he

heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth. Jesus looked at him

and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a

camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Those who heard this asked, "Who then can be saved?" Jesus replied, "What is impossible

with men is possible with God." Luke 18:18-27

Yahshua repeats this throughout the New Testament. Here's another example:

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give

you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept

him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and

will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not

see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will

realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my

commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved

by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot)

said, "But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?" Jesus

replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will

come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my

teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. All

this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will

send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to

you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do

not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. You heard me say, 'I am going away and I

am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for

the Father is greater than I. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does

happen you will believe. I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is

coming. He has no hold on me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do

exactly what my Father has commanded me. Come now; let us leave." John 14:15-31

After His death, do you remember why His followers didn't go to the tomb until Sunday

morning? They rested on the Sabbath in obedience to the commandment (Luke 23:56). If He

did away with this before He died, He forgot to tell the people closest to Him. And there is

nothing recorded in any of His post-resurrection appearances to even hint at this (or any

other) commandment being set aside. So that leaves us with the question of Paul and the

early church.

The letters of the Apostle John, written after the Gospels and after Paul's letters, clearly

define sin as breaking God's law, and call for us to obey the commandments:

Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 1 John 3:4.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the

father loves his child as well. This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving

God and carrying out his commands. This is love for God: to obey his commands. And

his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is

the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world?

Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. 1 John 5:1-5

There were claims of Paul teaching against the Law even while he was still alive. The early

church dealt with this in Acts 21:

When we arrived at Jerusalem, the brothers received us warmly. The next day Paul and the

rest of us went to see James, and all the elders were present. Paul greeted them and

reported in detail what God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. When they

heard this, they praised God. Then they said to Paul: "You see, brother, how many thousands

of Jews have believed, and all of them are zealous for the law. They have been informed

that you teach all the Jews who live among the Gentiles to turn away from Moses, telling them

not to circumcise their children or live according to our customs. What shall we do? They will

certainly hear that you have come, so do what we tell you. There are four men with us who

have made a vow. Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so

that they can have their heads shaved. Then everybody will know there is no truth in

these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law." Acts

21:17-24

Keep reading, and you find that Paul did what James and the brothers asked him to do,

proving that Paul lived in obedience to the law, and that there was "no truth in these reports"

that he was teaching against the law. Here's a sample of what Peter said about the

confusion:

14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found

spotless, blameless and at peace with him. 15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means

salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16

He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters

contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people

distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17 Therefore, dear

friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried

away by the error of lawless men and fall from your secure position. 18 But grow in the

grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and

forever! Amen. 2Peter 3:14-18

and in Paul's own words:

5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath

against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6

God “will give to each person according to what he has done.” 7 To those who by

persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for

those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and

anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the

Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for

the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism. 12 All who sin apart from

the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the

law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those

who obey the law who will be declared righteous. Romans 2:5-13

Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what

counts. 1 Corinthians 7:19

It can be very difficult to accept that the things we've been taught by people we love and trust

are not right. But by following the traditions of the church, instead of keeping God's

commandments, you are accepting the authority of the pope over scripture. The Vatican says

exactly this -- They acknowledge that there is no scriptural basis for changing the fourth

commandment from Sabbath rest to Sunday worship; and claim that protestant churches who follow

their liturgical calendar have accepted "the Mark of our authority". (Remember this:

following the Catholic liturgical calendar is accepting "the Mark" of Roman authority.)

Many of the traditions we have inherited from Roman Catholicism go back to customs that

were commonplace in the Roman empire during the days of the early church. Here's what

Paul said to Gentiles living in the Roman empire about the very same traditions which were

"Christianized" by the Catholic church 300 years later:

Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God,

and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the

Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord’s table and of the table of

demons. Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than He? 1 Corinthians 10:20-22

But then, indeed, when you did not know God, you served those which by nature are not

gods. But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn

again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? You

observe days and months and seasons and years. I am afraid for you, lest I have labored

for you in vain. Galatians 4:8-11

Not only is there no scriptural basis for these traditions (including Easter, Christmas, and

Sunday worship in place of Sabbath rest), many of them are specifically condemned by scripture.

The name "Easter" comes from "Eostre", the German name of Asherah, the wife of Baal and

mother of Tammuz; and the date of her celebration is still calculated the same way it was

hundreds of years before Messiah walked the earth (the first Sunday after the first full moon

after the spring equinox). The date of Easter is NOT when our Messiah was crucified or

resurrected. The eggs and the bunnies also come from Asherah's fertility cult. Her son

Tammuz (known in Rome as Sol Invictus, the Invincible Sun) was born at the winter solstice, which was

December 25th when our Roman calendars were established. Easter and Christmas are

the Feasts of Baal.

Knowing this, pay close attention to what Ezekiel tells us. Those who "mourn for Tammuz"

(forty days of mourning, now known as "Lent", prior to the Feast of Ashera / Easter) or

celebrate the sunrise service on the Feast of Ashera / Easter, are destroyed. Those who

recognize these as abominations receive God's mark in their forehead, and are saved...

13 Again, he said, “You will see them doing things that are even more detestable.” 14 Then he

brought me to the entrance to the north gate of the house of the LORD, and I saw women

sitting there, mourning for Tammuz. 15 He said to me, “Do you see this, son of man? You

will see things that are even more detestable than this.” 16 He then brought me into the inner

court of the house of the LORD, and there at the entrance to the temple, between the portico

and the altar, were about twenty-five men. With their backs toward the temple of the LORD

and their faces toward the east, they were bowing down to the sun in the east. 17 He said to

me, “Have you seen this, son of man? Is it a trivial matter for the house of Judah to do the

detestable things they are doing here? Must they also fill the land with violence and

continually provoke me to anger? Look at them putting the branch to their nose! 18 Therefore

I will deal with them in anger; I will not look on them with pity or spare them. Although

they shout in my ears, I will not listen to them.” 1 Then I heard him call out in a loud

voice, “Bring the guards of the city here, each with a weapon in his hand.” 2 And I saw six

men coming from the direction of the upper gate, which faces north, each with a deadly

weapon in his hand. With them was a man clothed in linen who had a writing kit at his side.

They came in and stood beside the bronze altar. 3 Now the glory of the God of Israel went up

from above the cherubim, where it had been, and moved to the threshold of the temple. Then

the LORD called to the man clothed in linen who had the writing kit at his side 4 and said to

him, “Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who

grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it.” 5 As I listened, he said

to the others, “Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. 6

Slaughter old men, young men and maidens, women and children, but do not touch anyone

who has the mark. Begin at my sanctuary.” So they began with the elders who were in front

of the temple. 7 Then he said to them, “Defile the temple and fill the courts with the slain. Go!”

So they went out and began killing throughout the city. 8 While they were killing and I was left

alone, I fell facedown, crying out, “Ah, Sovereign LORD! Are you going to destroy the entire

remnant of Israel in this outpouring of your wrath on Jerusalem?” 9 He answered me, “The sin

of the house of Israel and Judah is exceedingly great; the land is full of bloodshed and the city

is full of injustice. They say, ‘The LORD has forsaken the land; the LORD does not see.’ 10

So I will not look on them with pity or spare them, but I will bring down on their own heads

what they have done.” 11 Then the man in linen with the writing kit at his side brought back

word, saying, “I have done as you commanded.” Ezekiel 8:13-9:11

In the same way, Revelation records John staggering when he realizes how these traditions

of Baal worship have overtaken the church.

8 A second angel followed and said, “Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great, which made all the

nations drink the maddening wine of her adulteries.” 9 A third angel followed them and said in

a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the

forehead or on the hand, 10 he, too, will drink of the wine of God’s fury, which has been

poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the

presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment rises for ever

and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for

anyone who receives the mark of his name.” 12 This calls for patient endurance on the part of

the saints who obey God’s commandments and remain faithful to Jesus. Revelation

14:8-12

Babylon is the Roman church, and her daughter churches. This is established by 1 Peter

5:13, and Revelation 17. Her "adulteries" are spiritual, leading people into Baal worship. In

contrast, how are the saints described? They OBEY GOD'S COMMANDMENTS, *AND*

remain faithful to Jesus. One or the other is NOT enough.

Once you have a solid understanding of the "Old Testament", Revelation becomes

surprisingly simple. While everyone has heard of the "Mark of the Beast", there are actually

two marks. We get to choose. Exodus, Deuteronomy, and Ezekiel tell us that keeping

Yahweh's commandments, and His Feasts, including His Sabbaths, will be a sign (mark) on

our forehead and our hands. Ezekiel and Revelation tell us that those with Yahweh's sign

(mark) will be spared from the coming destruction. Revelation tells us that the mark of the

beast (also on our foreheads and hands) is keeping the commandments (traditions), and

"holidays" of the Beast -- the Roman church. The Roman church confirms this, proudly

claiming the Catholic liturgical calendar as the "Mark" of their authority.

The pastor who tells you to ignore God's commandments (which Jesus taught us to keep),

and to celebrate Baal's Feasts instead of Yahweh's, is a wolf in sheep's clothing. If he can

show me one verse in which Jesus says that Yahweh's commandments or Feasts no longer

apply, or even any evidence that "Easter" is not the Feast of Ashera or Christmas the birthday

of Tammuz, I will apologize in writing, and send your church a check for $500. If he can't

claim the reward, why are you listening to him?

I pray you will pick up your scriptures, read them for yourself, and allow Him to open your

mind to His will. I love you always, but we have been warned:

My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected

knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your

God, I also will ignore your children. The more the priests increased, the more they

sinned against me; they exchanged their Glory for something disgraceful. They feed

on the sins of my people and relish their wickedness. And it will be: Like people, like

priests. I will punish both of them for their ways and repay them for their deeds. Hosea

4:6-9

Offline danshelper  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:16:14 PM(UTC)
danshelper

RWY – good to hear from you. I will pray for your Mom, along with mine. Many times in these similar situations in my family, I’ve been convicted with 1 John 3:18 and Matthew 11:19. Maybe that’s a gender difference (1 Peter 3:1), but perhaps unlike many who see strict condemnation for those who have not fully understood the Truth, I believe from Scripture there are multitudes who will appear before YHWH lamenting the futility they inherited and believed – but ultimately will be cleansed and accepted (Romans 11:32). We can only receive what we’ve been given, John 3:27. YHWH bless you and all your family.

Offline FredSnell  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:16:45 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Matt. 24:24 For there shall arise false messiahs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

Acts 1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

I love most of your letter to your ma, but trying to, or not trying, I can't swallow Pauls letters in the least.

Offline RidesWithYah  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:38:44 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

I don't disagree, but she's not ready for that discussion yet.

Paul is the one her church uses to justify ignoring the commandments.
He also clearly argued FOR the law.
So, which Paul will she believe?
Or will she recognize his inconsistencies?

Shalom.
Offline Daniel  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:22:11 PM(UTC)
Daniel

RidesWithYah wrote:
I don't disagree, but she's not ready for that discussion yet.
Paul is the one her church uses to justify ignoring the commandments.
He also clearly argued FOR the law.

Indeed, no need to throw Paul under the bus just yet.

He just belongs to the same category as Oprah, Billy Graham and Dr. Phil.

Let her come to that on her own.
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline RidesWithYah  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 11:56:43 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Thanks for the words and prayers.
Thought I'd share the relevant portion of the reply.

Quote:
Dear Mxxx,

I am pleased that your physical well being is in such a good state.

I grieve because a chasm is forming between us. You have embraced something very different from what your parents taught and believed. Not only do you embrace something different, but the implication is that I am wrong for believing what I believe.

Believe what you want. Please refrain from trying to convince me I am wrong for believing what I believe.

My current study Bible is the English Standard Version—the same Bible I recently purchased for you.

On to other stuff—

Offline VinceB.  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 12:09:19 PM(UTC)
VinceB.

RidesWithYah wrote:
Thanks for the words and prayers.
Thought I'd share the relevant portion of the reply.

Without a doubt: I feel your pain; I mean, this is heart-breaking to know loved ones we grew up with are so into their faith over the truth they can't anymore see Yahowsha' walking by than those who were present during His first advent...

I hear my mom, sister, siblings, dad reiterating to me what this person's reply to you was...and we know they love us and only want what's best for us as we do them...He brought a sword; and the pain runs deep...

And folks wonder what makes Paul so bad: this is one of the many reasons Paul is so bad.

Yah's continued best on you and yours'
HWHY
Offline Richard  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 4:26:48 PM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
RWY,

Her response is a more polite, toned-down version of what one of my sons wrote to me. It was the last communication we have had and it was a year and a half ago. I miss him.

Richard
Offline Paula  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:00:39 PM(UTC)
Paula

Richard, please contact your son. You know it's about relationship. The rest doesn't matter as much.