logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sirgodfrey  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 7:07:11 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

music is very meaningful in my life. I am an emcee and poet, and have been doing music for some years now. That being said, I wish to explore and push my creativity further and learn how to play the guitar. I have purchased one in the past but ended up selling it, needing the money. I am going to pick up the guitar once more and pursue it relentlessly but I need to know if I should start with an acoustic guitar or an electric. If anyone is experienced, please let me know which one I should purchase and begin mastering first. Thannnnnkkkssssss :) :) :)
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 7:32:05 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
My friends who liked Jimi Hendrix and Santana obviously chose the electric, while those who belonged to a church and preferred classical and blues music went for the acoustic. Though my best friend went straight for the bass guitar to join the church band, but has now become one the country's leading double bass players after his desire for jazz music lead him that way. However, those of my friends who make a living from music play drums, the double bass and the acoustic guitar.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:11:10 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
It depends on what kind of music you want to play. If you are just interested in learning to play guitar period, I would recommend an acoustic. The reason being it is harder to play, so if you learn that you can then easily switch to electric.

Or you can do what I did, and go Bass, much funner in my opinion.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline cgb2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:23:31 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
You know how many bluegrass musicians it takes to change a light bulb?
1 to change the bulb and the other 4 to complain that it's electric :^)

Well, obviously my bias is acoustic. I'd recommend some awesome software for learning:
TablEdit http://tabledit.com/
Amazing Slow Downer http://ronimusic.com/

TablEdit is awesome in Tablature format you can hear, put in loops, etc. There are also tef converters for stuff you find wrote in Guitar-Tracks_Pro and others.
Slowdowner slows down (without changing pitch) of any MP3, Wave, audio CD, and can be put in loops to practice along.

Both have free trial versions
Offline cgb2  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:30:40 AM(UTC)
cgb2

Regardless of your music taste, I think for learning SOLOs, bluegrass flatpicking is a great place to start. I've even heard metal folks recommend it on some forums. Play close attention to down/ups. For instance on a 4/4 song with 1/8 notes we have 1&2&3&4&....on any "&" beat you should be picking up. Anything else you will be killing your speed, by either double-timing or stopping your hand from a smooth pendulum, and will come out in messed up timing, or even crashing and burning because your hand lost position.

Also a key concept: "PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT" ....don't practice slop.
Offline cgb2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:36:23 AM(UTC)
cgb2

...of course the above flatpicking thing doesn't count if you like fingerstyle rather than a pick
Offline James  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:37:30 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
flintface wrote:
"Funner", James? We'll have to conversate about that one, my brother. I just hope neither of us gets flustrated.

Yes funner, what's wrong with that? ;)
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline FredSnell  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:49:55 AM(UTC)
FredSnell

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I hope all the ppl that do love music, will enjoy this from you tube....Maybe a thread we can put songs on, that rejoice in His name so that we can share together. We received some music via snail mail the other day from some folks that use YHWHs name. My wife just can't seem to quit listening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxvwOD6x_I
Offline sirgodfrey  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:31:00 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

Thanks for all the advice people. Practice makes PERMANENT. I really like that. This is something that I am trying to really pursue. Iv
Offline sirgodfrey  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:34:38 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

I figure if I practice for like 5 years I'll be good enough to make my own cd etc. I think I will opt for the acoustic first since its cheaper. But then again, if I find a really good deal on electric I will probably get that first. For some reason I am REALLY drawn to the electric guitar. I think its so awesome. And I used a pic when I initially started to learn. Not sure if that's easier than my fingers though. And thanks for the tutorial links they may come in handy along with some YouTube videos my friend told me about a little while back.
Offline cgb2  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:07:51 PM(UTC)
cgb2

Don't stop until you get over the 3-song-hurdle. At that point you'll know if its for you.
1st song - great difficulty devoloping right/left hand coordination, callouses, clean fingering, timing, hand/pick coordination.
2nd song easier but still difficult. 3rd song we're on a roll and with what's built so far, and next song will be much quicker.

Most songs are 1,4,5 for chords. (1234567 ABCDEFGABCDEFG) If key of C: C,F,G. If key of A: A,D,E
Key of G: G,C,D.

A capo lets you play chords in another key. For Instance Capo 2nd fret then playing G,C,D would actually be in key of A (A,D,E).

As soon as one has the techinical ability they should regularly play with others to keep motivation. With bluegrass here in the states, there are generaly weekly jams, and great festivals to go to in most places. Easy enough for beginners and as complicated as you want.
Here's an example of some campground picking last summer at Bluegrass on the River in Pueblo CO, by freind Ken & Stray Cats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpN7YOb3CnE

In hindsight; I regret that I'd not had been so into flatpicking solos and didn't put equal effort into accompaning rythm, especially not associating chords with whats going on in solos. Has hampered my improv. I know many patterns and runs, but wish I would quickly know where to go with solo based on chord change.

PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT:
-Good playing is economy of motion, both right and left hands.

- Control flying fingers on frets. You only have to take your fingers off the string a little, not throw fingers way up.

- Solos: Settle on pick hand anchor pivot; palm on saddle OR pinkie-ring finger on guitar-top,Don't stop until you get over the 3-song-hurdle. At that point you'll know if its for you.
1st song - great difficulty devoloping right/left hand coordination, callouses, clean fingering, timing, hand/pick coordination. 2nd song easier but still difficult. 3rd song we're on a roll and with what's built so far, the next song will be much quicker.

Most songs are 1,4,5 for chords. (1234567 ABCDEFGABCDEFG) If key of C: C,F,G. If key of A: A,D,E
Key of G: G,C,D.

A capo lets you play chords in another key. For Instance Capo 2nd fret then playing G,C,D would actually be in key of A (A,D,E).

As soon as one has the techinical ability they should regularly play with others to keep motivation. One thing great about bluegrass here in the states, is there are generaly weekly jams, and great festivals to go to in most places. Easy enough for beginners and as complicated as you want.
Here's an example of some campground picking last summer at Bluegrass on the River in Pueblo CO, by freind Ken & Stray Cats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpN7YOb3CnE

In hindsight; I regret that I'd not had been so into flatpicking solos and didn't put equal effort into accompaning rythm, especially not associating chords with whats going on in solos. Has hampered my improv I know many patterns and runs, but wish I would quickly know where to go with solo based on chord change.

PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT:
-Good playing is economy of motion, both right and left hands.

- Control flying fingers on frets. You only have to take your fingers off the string a little, not throw fingers way up.

- Solos: Settle on pick hand anchor pivot; palm on saddle OR pinkie-ring finger on guitar-top, not both. Doing both fights economy of motion. I've come to prefer ring/pinky on guitar-top as pivot. When picking fat low strings (6,5) you can even slide/pull p/r into the thin strings (1,2) for leverage and positional sense.

- Solos usually played around chord form, and moving around finger(s) for notes not in the chord. Also learn where same chords are up the neck, so can jump around in octaves. Learn scales and theory to advance.

- Don't lift finger(s) off until you need to, strive for flatpicking sustain.

- Play only as fast as you can well.

- Close the door so you don't annoy others, then pick like you mean it - loud.

- Timing, use a metronome, recording, or software.

- Learn segments of songs equally well then peice them together. Not great beginning, poor ending.

- Voice is an instrument too, develop it. Even tougher while playing guitar too.
- Solos usually played around chord form, and moving around finger(s) for notes not in the chord. Also learn where same chords are up the neck, so can jump around in octaves. Learn scales and theory to advance.

- Don't lift finger(s) off until you need to, strive for flatpicking sustain.

- Play only as fast as you can well.

- Close the door so you don't annoy others, then pick like you mean it - loud.

- Timing, use a metronome, recording, or software.

- Learn segments of songs equally well then peice them together. Not great beginning, poor ending.

- Voice is an instrument too, develop it. Even tougher while playing guitar too.