logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RidesWithYah  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:03:08 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

I've only read the intro so far, but THIS BOOK looks to have promise.

Shalom.
Offline Richard  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 2:40:56 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
You're kidding, right? The title page begins with a quote from Galatians, and the author tells us on the first page that he is using the Masoretic text because it is the one trusted by Judaism. It shows promise, all right; it promises to be slanted towards religion. No thanks, brother.

Richard
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 5:04:11 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
flintface wrote:
You're kidding, right? The title page begins with a quote from Galatians, and the author tells us on the first page that he is using the Masoretic text because it is the one trusted by Judaism. It shows promise, all right; it promises to be slanted towards religion. No thanks, brother.

Richard

I would only say that even if they are promoting a religious agenda, doesn't mean their aren't useful facts that can be gained, I don't know if that is the situation with this book, I haven't had the chance to read any of it yet. But I learned a lot from Phillip Comfort's books on the Greek Manuscripts even though he promotes a religious view throughout, and the same with Gerald Schroder's work. So even religious people with agendas can provide useful information, you just have the pull the weeds from their presentation.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Richard  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2011 7:23:42 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
James wrote:
I would only say that even if they are promoting a religious agenda, doesn't mean their aren't useful facts that can be gained, I don't know if that is the situation with this book, I haven't had the chance to read any of it yet. But I learned a lot from Phillip Comfort's books on the Greek Manuscripts even though he promotes a religious view throughout, and the same with Gerald Schroder's work. So even religious people with agendas can provide useful information, you just have the pull the weeds from their presentation.

You are right, of course. I just have so little patience with those who slam their shutters on the Light, choosing instead to boast of the dim glow of their own tiny candles. Perhaps I'll go back and read more of that work. I apologize if my response seemed curt or inconsiderate.

Richard
Offline cgb2  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2011 5:55:58 PM(UTC)
cgb2

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Speaking of Aleph & Tau I was studying acient hebrew pictograph letters and was startled to find the symbol for tau. Also the meanings for both Aleph and Tau.
http://www.docstoc.com/d...8236/Hebrew-Letter-Chart

Perhaps much in paganism didn't originate with them, but stolen and corrupted....and yes I know stauros means upright pillar, pole, stake and is the metaphor chosen to state it....but interesting none the less.

Makes one question the notion that we should always do the opposite of pagans, which I'm sure many of you've encountered:
FOr instance: because pagans observe the first visible cresent as new moon, then that must be wrong and month starts during no moon (modern meaning of new moon)....where I tend to think YHWH would have been specific and called it no-moon if he meant that.
Offline RidesWithYah  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:03:47 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

I boiled it down to a presentation for our fellowship, thought you might enjoy the slides.
(CAUTION: KJV, and some Paul, ahead!)
Offline Daniel  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 8:36:00 AM(UTC)
Daniel

RidesWithYah wrote:
I've only read the intro so far, but THIS BOOK

There is a bunch of good stuff in this book, RWY.

Some stuff is not quite right (the whole "strength in the cross" theme is objectionable to me), but on the whole, it is worth reading. He makes a nice presentation as to why "Jesus" name is really Yahushua.

I liked his explanation regarding the order of the books in the Tanakh vs the "Old Testament". Some much so that I cut and pasted that into an e-mail to a friend whom I was discussing it with the other day.

Not perfect, but serviceable.
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline RidesWithYah  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 11:24:44 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

He is *so* close to the truth --
Yahshua is the strength of the covenant!