logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline gabebp  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:55:23 PM(UTC)
gabebp

Hello. I'm brand new to the forum, so please excuse me if I'm redundant with previous posts.

I have just read bits and pieces of Yada Yahweh (YY) and then noticed the updates which lead me to Questioning Paul (QP). As I see it, the veracity of QP is of the utmost import. There are so many questions floating around in my head. I'm deeply disturbed to consider that Christianity (simple faith in Yahweh's Son's finished work on the cross being the requirement for salvation) is a false path leading to destruction. I need to read YY an QP, but as I do, could someone explain the most basic three questions of all:

-Assuming Paul is a false teacher, why does Yahweh allow so many billions of people to go astray and so few (.0001%?) to actually "get it?" It is by mere chance that I picked up on the message in QP. The implication is that those pastors and memebers of the church who unwittingly evangilize in the name of Jesus and preach the gospel will be damned to hell. Many of these folks are doing what they truly believe to be correct and are not intentionally lying to people. This just seems harsh.

-Assuming Paul is a false teacher, why did Yahweh not interviene in a way that allowed the truth to get out sooner and to a larger audience. Of all the Christian scholars who have come before, surely you'd think someone would have picked up on all of the contracdictions and false doctrines...

-Where do I go in YY to come up with a game plan to set myself on the right path? I'm not a quick study and it will take a long time to get through 2,000+ pages...

Thanks,

gabebp

Offline VaBlueRidge  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 1:34:46 AM(UTC)
VaBlueRidge

Welcome to the forum gabebp.
You raise some good questions that we've all had to deal with.

gabebp wrote:
I'm deeply disturbed to consider that Christianity (simple faith in Yahweh's Son's finished work on the cross being the requirement for salvation) is a false path leading to destruction.

Yes, it is troubling. But Yahushua did say that in John 8:44 of Satan that "When he speaks the lie, he speaks of his own, for he is a liar and the father of it", so it is not surprising to learn the depths of his deception. Most Christians know that the holidays are satanic, that Yahushua taught Torah observance, and yet they explain it away to keep their traditions - I know, because that's what I did for so long.

gabebp wrote:
-Assuming Paul is a false teacher, why does Yahweh allow so many billions of people to go astray and so few (.0001%?) to actually "get it?"

Yes, Paul was a false teacher. There are many websites now that expose his lies, one of the best for most people to start with is Jesus Words Only Online Book

gabebp wrote:
The implication is that those pastors and memebers of the church who unwittingly evangilize in the name of Jesus and preach the gospel will be damned to hell. Many of these folks are doing what they truly believe to be correct and are not intentionally lying to people. This just seems harsh.

Yahushua also taught us in Matthew 7:13-14 “Enter in through the narrow gate! Because the gate is wide – and the way is broad – that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter in through it. Because the gate is narrow and the way is hard pressed which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Note the words in the passage I quoted above are "that leads to destruction" not "that leads to eternal torture in the fires of hell". Take time to study the YY section on the "three doors", one of which is that most people will just cease to exist. That will be the fate of the great majority of these people and most of the people we've know who have not kept the Sabbath/Appointed Times and have not lived a Torah observant life.

gabebp wrote:
Of all the Christian scholars who have come before, surely you'd think someone would have picked up on all of the contracdictions and false doctrines...

The Jewish Believers in the first two centuries knew, as have many others since, but they were persecuted and put to death by the Catholic Church. The Protestants were less bloody, they just came up with alternative explainations based on replacement theology, dispensationalism, etc. and most christians just swallow the explainations without seeking the truth. For example, all Sunday School children are taught the ten commandments, but then they just explain them away (especially the Sabbath) using Paul's words, and christians (and their pastors) are generally too lazy to study church history to learn that it was the Sun worshipping Constantine who outlawed the Saturday Sabbath and mandated Sunday worship in opposition to the clear teaching of the Torah.

All we can do is study, learn, pray, share with those who will listen, and live a Torah observant life as best we know how while calling upon the mercies of our Father Yahuwah and His son Yahushua.
Yahuwah bless thee, and keep thee:
Yahuwah make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
Yahuwah lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

(Numbers 6:24-26)
Offline gabebp  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 2:43:49 AM(UTC)
gabebp

Thanks for the reply. I'm truly interested in finding out the truth, but there are many things that don't seem to line up with Yahushua's and Yahweh's teachings, at least to my simple mind:

-Why doesn't Yahushua say something like "Father who art in heaven help us to carefully observe your Torah" in the Lord's prayer (Mat 6:9-13)?
-Yahushua says to the woman with the bleeding affliction in Matthew "Daughter take courage your faith has made you well." This seems to speak in favor of simple faith being the saving element.
-Yahushua says it is "not what enters the mouth that defiles the man, but what preceeds out of the mouth that defiles the man (Mat 15:11). This seems to invalidate strict adherence to the old way of relating to the Torah.
-Yahushua desires "compassion and not a sacrifice." (Matt 12:7) This seems to invalidate strict adherence to the old way of relating to the Torah.
-"Yahweh's testimony....making understanding and obtaining wisdom simple for the open-minded" (abbrev. from Psalm 19:7) doesn't lead me to believe a 2,000 page book is necessary to make the case for the correct view of salvation. Yahushua seem to especially align himself with the simple and the humble. Often the simple and humble don't have the ability to grasp the finer points of linguistic nuiances and come to the conclusions (you can't rely on any of the current translations of the scripture) that seems to take 2,000+ pages.
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 4:12:39 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Welcome to the Forum, gabebp. There is much to learn here, including the virtues of patience and perseverance. When I started here a few years ago, I had many questions but a determination to understand The Plan and my role in it. Without questions, one is simply a blank mind whereas questions reveal a desire to learn and understand and a child-like attitude will lead such a one onto riches unbounded as it leads into proper relationship with our Creator, Abba Yahuwah.

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Quote:
-Why doesn't Yahushua say something like "Father who art in heaven help us to carefully observe your Torah" in the Lord's prayer (Mat 6:9-13)?

When Yahusha was teaching his talmidim, they were already versed in the Torah. The Torah teachings are not supposed to be the object of "religious veneration" but The Creator and His Plan are detailed in Scripture, primarily in the Torah. Observing Torah does not lead to eternal life but relationship with Yahuwah leads to eternal life in His Kingdom. Yahusha elaborated on the Torah and clarified its principles, which have since been masked behind religiosity. Therefore, with a better understanding of Torah we observe Torah not because it saves but because it is incumbent to live our lives as He taught and as He lives. If indeed He lives as Christians would have you believe, then He will -- must -- be living according to Torah as that is what He taught. Therefore if He is in us we too shall be striving to keep Torah. Otherwise the Truth is not in us. This is not to say that we can keep His Commandments perfectly, we can and will still sin, but we must always strive to keep Torah. One one must not forget that He taught about establishing His Kingdom here on earth as it is in heaven. If you can reflect on what His Kingdom in heaven is like, try picturing it here on earth and then you can understand why He asked us to pray for that to come.

Quote:
-Yahushua says to the woman with the bleeding affliction in Matthew "Daughter take courage your faith has made you well." This seems to speak in favor of simple faith being the saving element.

I would not describe it as "simple faith" as it was evident that Yahusha was proving His deity via miracles. Many people saw the miracles and yet many doubted Him. The woman understood that this man was sent by Elohim and she wanted to be healed and she literally pressed on through the crowd to touch Him despite all the physical and social obstacles in the way. If it was "simple faith" then she would not have needed to reach out to grab the tassels on His clothes. She put her belief into action despite all the prejudices against her and dared to touch Him to seek healing, whereas many of those who had literally rubbed shoulders with Yahusha did not seek healing and subsequently did not receive any. To them it may have just been a "magic" show, but to the woman it was a demonstration of Elohim's power. Her belief -- not just faith as there were examples of miraculous recovery -- led to her recovery and He knew that she believed and wanted public affirmation of her belief. Today we have the miracle of existence despite all the odds against life, and for us who understand this we know that we can rely on Him to bring us to eternal life. But first we must want to walk with Him or else why would we want to have eternal life?

Quote:
-Yahushua says it is "not what enters the mouth that defiles the man, but what preceeds out of the mouth that defiles the man (Mat 15:11). This seems to invalidate strict adherence to the old way of relating to the Torah.

One of the Commandments is against spreading falsehoods. If one spouts lies to establish doctrines against Yahuwah and His Torah, would this not defile that person? This verse is a favourite to support the eating of things not declared as food, but it has little bearing on that teaching. In fact, as one lives day to day, it is inevitable that one would consume things that are not declared as food, such as dirt, worms and insects. These things do not defile the person. The body will simply strive to get rid of such things that are not beneficial. If one continuously consumes unclean matter as food, then there will be a strain on the body and it will eventually break down, causing hurt to the person and their family. There is much to this but the simpleness of this commandment about food is that He created us and knows what is good for us. One does not put diesel into a petrol engine and hope to get to the end of a long journey without damage.

Quote:
-Yahushua desires "compassion and not a sacrifice." (Matt 12:7) This seems to invalidate strict adherence to the old way of relating to the Torah.

Much of Scripture is misunderstood, especially those concerning the Temple laws and rituals. To get a better understanding it would be great for you to read Ken Power's books on the YY website, namely The Owner's Manual and What Maimonides Missed.

Quote:
-"Yahweh's testimony....making understanding and obtaining wisdom simple for the open-minded" (abbrev. from Psalm 19:7) doesn't lead me to believe a 2,000 page book is necessary to make the case for the correct view of salvation. Yahushua seem to especially align himself with the simple and the humble. Often the simple and humble don't have the ability to grasp the finer points of linguistic nuiances and come to the conclusions (you can't rely on any of the current translations of the scripture) that seems to take 2,000+ pages.

True. Total understanding of the tomes contained herein is not necessary for Salvation. However, basic understanding of who our Creator is, why He made us, how we separated ourselves from Him, and how He is reconciling us to Him is important. Why we are here and for what purpose is especially relevant. To get this, one can simply read Scripture, right? Really!? What about the lies that have been told over the millennia that have further separated us from Him? The religions that espouse a magic formula that simply saying that one believes that "Jesus is Lord" can lead to eternal life? For what purpose? Since religion cannot answer these questions then we must look deeper.

This does not mean that one must be a Hebraic or Paleo-Greek scholar (forget needing to be proficient in Latin because it is practically irrelevant) but one needs a sound mind to determine what is Truth and to recognise it when found. If it does not make sense, then something is amiss. For instance, the Easter and Christmas celebrations. The doctrine of seven sacraments that were not taught in Scripture but sculpted through tradition and justified via twisted words from purported holy writings that only the clergy and clerics could understand. The list goes on.

It takes great effort to disassociate Truth from fiction, and the pages herein helps one to clarify falseness from The Word. Seek out what is relevant to you now, and He will see to it that you shall be given more once you deal properly with what you found. Ultimately it is not how much one knows but how much one relies on Him and is willing to follow Him. But if you desire a better seat in the stadium, in the VIP stand with Him, then perhaps it would help if one is well versed in The Plan. To whom much is given much is expected.

I hope that my answers make sense but I am not the sharpest blade around here. What you need is to make some effort to get to really know our Creator and He will do the necessary, even if we think He is not for His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 6:13:13 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Gabe, I will try to answer your questions the best I can. They are good ones, and deserve an answer, I think VaBlueRidge has given some good answers, but sometimes having it explained in different ways can help, so I will expand on what he/she has said.

gabebp wrote:
-Assuming Paul is a false teacher, why does Yahweh allow so many billions of people to go astray and so few (.0001%?) to actually "get it?"

I would say the short and quick of it is simple, free will. Yahuweh gave man free will, and we have used it badly. He gave Paul, and everyone else the free will to distort His message, and he gave their victims the free will, and proper information, to listen to evaluate and decide rather or not to follow him. The fact that people were beguiled by that message is not Yahuweh’s fault, He gave them what was needed to evaluate it and realize that it was wrong, the fact that they didn’t is theirs, not His.

Rev 2 wrote:
And you have observed and objectively tested those who maintain they are messengers but are not, and have found them false, deceitful.

This may not have been directed directly at Paul, but Yahuweh was commending the Ephesians for objectively testing (peirazo - scrutinized, examined through enquiry, tried, and pierced through) those who claimed to bring a message from Him. This is something we should all do, with anyone who claims to teach on behalf of Yahuweh, and those that don’t have only themselves to blame if they are lead astray.
On a side not, this is one of the reasons I love the GDR volume of YY. Studying Yahuweh’s assessment of the seven ecclesia gives us a great insight into what Yahuweh likes and doesn’t like. I.E. his hatred of the Nicolatians, a group who sought to incorporate pagan religious practices in with the following of Yahuweh, i.e. they founded Christianity.

[qutoe=gabebp] The implication is that those pastors and memebers of the church who unwittingly evangilize in the name of Jesus and preach the gospel will be damned to hell. Many of these folks are doing what they truly believe to be correct and are not intentionally lying to people. This just seems harsh.

Most of them will not burn in hell; they will simply cease to exist, a fair and just outcome. Yahuweh will not punish them, he simply allow nature to take its course. Man’s soul is not immortal, despite what many believe, in fact of the meanings of the Hebrew word nephesh, the word translated soul, is mortality. The soul being mortal, unless made immortal, by linking to a spirit, will eventually die. There are two spirits we can link our souls to, Yahuweh’s or Halal Ben Shakar, the Adversary. But most will not link their soul to either, they will not be linked to any spirit, and their soul will simply die and cease to be. In order to be linked to the Adversary, as I understand it, one must for all intents and purposes, sell their soul to him. Most do this for power money, etc. These are those who knowingly lead others away from Yahuweh. Examples of this group would be Muhammad, Constantine, Popes, those who know there is no justification for their authority and power, but convince others that it is of God.

I would say the average Pastor is as ignorant and deceived as the average follower, and will share the same fate, death.

gabebp wrote:
-Assuming Paul is a false teacher, why did Yahweh not interviene in a way that allowed the truth to get out sooner and to a larger audience. Of all the Christian scholars who have come before, surely you'd think someone would have picked up on all of the contracdictions and false doctrines...

Yahuweh does not intervene in man’s free will. There are only a handful of examples in Scripture where Yahuweh does revoke someone’s free will, but they are few and far between, and he has great reason, but that’s a long story, and this is not the place. But again Yahuweh gave us plenty, so that if open minded we study it we can see it. The problem is most don’t study Scripture to understand it, they study it to understand their religion, and so they try to fit everything into what they have been told. Even using an English translation, one can see how much Galatians contradicts Yahuweh’s word, but most Christians don’t study Yahuweh’s Word, they study Paul’s more than anything’s, and then fit the rest into what Paul taught. Most Christian’s are New Testament centric, and most tend to take the view that since Paul was the last apostle, his word overrides what came before, it’s much the same as Islam where when there is a contradiction, the latest revelation supersedes the earlier. If they were to read from the beginning to the end rather than just the last quarter of the book they would see the contradictions. The naming of the volumes as Old and New Testament, adds to this, it gives the impression that one is outdated and superseded by the other.

gabebp wrote:
Where do I go in YY to come up with a game plan to set myself on the right path? I'm not a quick study and it will take a long time to get through 2,000+ pages...

While YY is a great source and a fount of great information, there is nothing about it that is going to give you a to do list, and it is not the ultimate source.
My advice would be start with the Called Out or Salvation volumes. Understanding the Miqray and the Messiah’s fulfillment of the first 4 is a great way to understand Yahuweh and His plan for our salvation. The god Damn Religion volume is great if you want to see how we got so wrong, as I said before I find its review of the 7 Revelation letters to be a great way to study what Yahuweh likes and doesn’t.
A side note, I think Christianity has a tendency to get the cart ahead of the horse, with its focus on salvation. I wish I could remember who it was that said this, but it was someone on the forum who put it this was salvation is a byproduct of relationship. With Christians they want the relationship, so they can be saved, not to have a relationship.

gabebp wrote:
Why doesn't Yahushua say something like "Father who art in heaven help us to carefully observe your Torah" in the Lord's prayer (Mat 6:9-13)?

Well he does say let your will be done, but in short, the “Lord’s prayer” was not meant to be a summation, end all be all, it was a simple prayer. He does tell us in the Sermon on the Mount
Matthew 5:17-19 wrote:
Do not assume that I have come to weaken, dismantle, invalidate, or abolish the Torah or the Prophets. I have not come to do away with it, but instead to completely fulfill it. Truly, I say to you, till heaven and the earth pass away not one jot nor tittle shall be passed by from that which was established in the Torah/Law until the time and place it All happens. Therefore whoever dismisses the least of these commandments or teaches people to do the same, they will be called the least important in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever performs them, and teaches them, they will be called the greatest and most important in the kingdom of heaven.

gabebp wrote:

Well first there is the translation error to address here, the word he spoke does not mean faith it means Trust and Reliance. Yes Trust and Reliance upon Yahuweh and Yahushua is the essential element, but Trust and Reliance requires something, it requires knowledge and understanding, and that is where studying is essential.
Second no one here has ever said that following the Torah to the T was required for salvation, but knowing understanding and studying the Torah is essential for knowing Yahuweh. As Yahushua pointed out in the Sermon on the Mount we should strive to keep the Torah, and teach others to do so also, but he knows as well as all of us that we aren’t perfect, which is why he doesn’t require perfection, what He wants is for us to come to know Him, for who he is, and to Trust Him.
gabebp wrote:

With all due respect I think you have taken this verse out of context and drawn an errant conclusion. Yahushua is speaking to the Pharisees who have just confronted Him about His disciples not following tradition. He then replies to them quoting a verse from Isaiah which ends with the line teaching teachings -- commands of men. Then after the quote you posted His disiples questioned him, and, “And he answering said, 'Every plant that my heavenly Father did not plant shall be rooted up; let them alone, guides they are -- blind of blind; and if blind may guide blind, both into a ditch shall fall.'
So the entire discourse is about the teachings and traditions of man, not the teachings of Yahuweh, in fact the he specifically says that 'Every plant that my heavenly Father did not plant shall be rooted up’. Meaning that which Yahuweh planted shall remain, i.e. Torah.

gabebp wrote:

No one here is teaching strict adherence, but that does not mean that the Torah is invalidated, passé, and should be ignored.
Also in context, this is again a response to a charge by the Pharisees, who taught strict adherence to their oral law. In fact what the disciples did, was not a violation of the Torah, it was a violation only of the oral law. But the teaching that Yahushua was trying to teach here was not that the Torah is invalid, and we don’t need to follow it, it was that the Torah is for our benefit, as he says else where the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath. The Torah, is not a burden, it is a blessing.

gabebp wrote:

It really doesn’t take that much, in fact the 2000 pages is overkill, but overkill is what some people need. I am of the opinion that if all we had was the Torah, we could come to know, understand and have a relationship with Yahuweh, provided we were willing to invest the time to study it. That said having the prophets and writings, the eyewitness accounts of Yahuhua’s time on Earth, are all great benefits, and aids.

Also it does take many pages to uncover what centuries of man’s meddling has made covered. It does take many pages to explain how we got to where we are and many pages to help people unlearn the lies that they have been taught since childhood. And it takes many pages to explain why translations, something which Yahuweh has nothing to do with, are wrong. The linguistic nuances are not necessary for understanding, but they do aid, and do allow a deeper understanding. When you have a relationship with someone, a close relationship, you don’t stop at just learning about the surface of the person, you over time seek a better and better understanding of them, and the same is true with Yahuweh, understanding the basics isn’t hard, but for some of us we seek to understand Him on a deeper level, the way we would anyone we were close to and cared about.

As for the inaccuracy and inadequacy of English translation, translations are simply a manmade affair, Yahuweh did not inspire any of the English translations out there, man did them. So we must assess the motives, and methods of the men who did them. Without going into detail here, I will say that when you take the time to study the history of translations, the methods were influenced by the motives, and for the most part the motives weren’t good. By in large most translations attempt to stay as close to previous translations as possible, because they know what sells, and in many cases that is not my assessment, but the stated goal. Also it’s easy to determine that the best sources were not always used. In the “New Testament” the “majority text” are used as opposed to the oldest text. The problem with that is simple, the more distance from the original the more likely they are to differ from the original. And with the “Old Testament” the Masoretic text are used, a text compiled in the 9th century AD, by agenda driven Rabbis, as opposed to the 2 century BC Dead Sea Scrolls. Then there is the case of inadequacy, where the translation is accurate to a degree but insufficient to convey the full intent. Words don’t translate from one language to another word for word very often, although most English translations attempt to do this.

And Psalm 19:7, one of my favorite verses by the way, carries the caveat of “making understanding and obtaining wisdom simple for the open-minded". Not many Christians that I know are very open minded, especially when it comes to anything that contradicts what they have been taught.

Also the translation you used shows a good example of why translations shouldn’t be trusted, as Psalm 19:7 actually read, “Yahuweh’s Torah”, not Yahuweh’s testimony.

Also while Yahuweh’s Torah does make understanding and obtaining wisdom simple to the open minded, most Christians don’t study the Torah, they are more interested in the “New Testament”, Paul and what their Pastor teaches. And therein lies the biggest problem, because of the “Pauline epistles”, Church teaching, and manmade traditions, most don’t study the Torah, and the ones who do (rabbis, etc) don’t do it open minded. What one has to learn to do, is to read Scripture without any of the religious influence, one of the reasons I think it is easier for those of us that came from an atheist/agnostic view, then those who, like my wife, came from a Christian religious perspective.

I hope this helps Gabe, I hope I didn’t come across wrong; I mean everything I say with love, and respect. I only wish to help. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them, I hope to continue this dialogue.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Royce  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 5:43:47 PM(UTC)
Royce
Man

Well done James, I do enjoy reading your thoughts so far. Atta boy bro.
Offline gabebp  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 6:38:10 PM(UTC)
gabebp

Thanks all who responded. I'm impressed by the time you've taken. I'm still digesting...

Not to continue to shotgun questions, but I had one more thing pop in my mind regarding the requirement for salvation being something more than the traditional Christian view of faith (or more accurately trust and reliance) and repentance in a single act of surrender. I had trouble finding anything through a forum search. How was the thief on the cross able to be offered salvation based on his simple conversation with Yahushua on the cross (or perhaps more accurately pole)?
Offline James  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:00:08 AM(UTC)
James
Man

gabebp wrote:
Not to continue to shotgun questions, but I had one more thing pop in my mind regarding the requirement for salvation being something more than the traditional Christian view of faith (or more accurately trust and reliance) and repentance in a single act of surrender.

First, don't worry about asking questions, that's one of the purposes of this site is to help each other.

Second, this is another example of where the translations hinder our understanding. Yahushua never asked for repentance, a word which is related to changing ones actions and behavior, the word he used, metanoeo, which is related to changing your perspective, and your way of thinking. Changing your behavior means nothing if you don't do it for the right reason, if you are attempting to keep Torah only for the reason that you think it will save you, the Jewish view, then you are doing it for the wrong reason. Yahuweh knows that how we think is much more important, and that a change in behavior will follow a change in thinking. What he want's us to metanoeo, is to change our perspective and way of thinking from the ways of man, religion, to His way, relationship, a relationship which is facilitated through the Torah. We observe Torah because we love Yahuweh, and He has asked us to, we observe Torah because it gives us an understanding our Father, we observe Torah because it is good for us to do so, we observe Torah so that we will understand Yahuweh's plan through it, we don't observe Torah because we think that doing so will save us. I can't remember if it was Yada or Ken who once put it as no one has ever been saved by following the Torah precisely, but everyone who has ever been saved has trusted and relied upon the plan laid out in the Torah, and trusted and relied in the Author of that plan.

gabebp wrote:
How was the thief on the cross able to be offered salvation based on his simple conversation with Yahushua on the cross (or perhaps more accurately pole)?

I would say that it is simple, he metanoeoed. He realized the Truth, and changed his way of thinking. He didn't have a 100% understanding, but that is not required. Also he was Jewish, so he already had a good understanding of Torah, only corrupted by the Rabbis, so realizing the wrong aspects, he came to understand, he changed his perspective from the religious to that of relationship.

Christianity is not 100% wrong, that is what makes it so beguiling. Trust and Reliance is all that is required, but the object of that Trust and Reliance is of the utmost importance. If you trust and rely on the wrong god, a god of man's making, then you have not put your trust and reliance in Yahuweh.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more.

Offline VaBlueRidge  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:18:35 PM(UTC)
VaBlueRidge

gabebp wrote:
...I had one more thing pop in my mind regarding the requirement for salvation being something more than the traditional Christian view of faith (or more accurately trust and reliance) and repentance in a single act of surrender.

James has once again provided an excellent and thoughtful response.
Another James, more accurately named Ya’aqob, the brother of Yahushua wrote:
James 1:21-25 wrote:
Therefore put away all filthiness and overflow of evil, and receive with meekness the implanted Word, which is able to save your lives. And become doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. Because if anyone is a hearer of the Word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror, for he looks at himself, and goes away, and immediately forgets what he was like. But he that looked into the perfect Torah, that of freedom, and continues in it, not becoming a hearer that forgets, but a doer of work, this one shall be blessed in his doing of the Torah.

Notice in the passage above the emphasis on receiving and doing the Word. At that time the only written Word was the Torah, Prophets, and Writings - what Christians call 'the Old Testament'. Also notice the emphasis on living a Torah Observant life. Contrary to Paul and Christianity, the Torah is a blessing - it teaches us how to love Yahuwah and our fellow man. It is not fearfully walking a life bound by rules and restrictions. It is joyful submission to the Father's will and responding to our Creator and His creation in love and respect.

Again, Ya'aqob says:
James 2:14-26 wrote:
My brothers, what use is it for anyone to say he has belief but does not have works? This belief is unable to save him.And if a brother or sister is naked and in need of daily food, but one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” but you do not give them the bodily needs, what use is it? So also belief, if it does not have works, is in itself dead. But someone might say, “You have belief, and I have works.” Show me your belief without your works, and I shall show you my belief by my works. You believe that Elohim is one. You do well. The demons also believe – and shudder! But do you wish to know, O foolish man, that the belief without the works is dead? Was not Abraham our father declared right by works when he offered Yitshaq his son on the altar? Do you see that the belief was working with his works, and by the works the belief was perfected? And the Scripture was filled which says, “Abraham believed Elohim, and it was reckoned to him for righteousness.” And he was called, “Elohim’s friend.” You see, then, that a man is declared right by works, and not by belief alone. In the same way, was not Rahab the whore also declared right by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so also the belief is dead without the works.

Many believe that the epistle of James was written specifically, point-by-point, to refute the false teachings of Paul. Some have suggested that perhaps the epistle of James was used in a trial of Paul, after which he split with the true Apostles and proceeded to build the gentile religion that became Christianity. In this passage we see Ya'aqob clearly refuting Pauls teaching of a simple, one-time salvation by faith alone.

What are the Works he is referring to? It is obedience to the Father's revealed will - the Torah. Can we all perfectly obey? No. Consider King David: when he comitted adultery and killed Uriah, according to Torah he and Bathsheeba should have been put to death. But when you read Psalms 51, you see a man who failed, guilty according to the Torah, who sought forgiveness and mercy not by works of righteousness apart from the Torah, but by repentance of heart and a return to Torah obedience:
Psalms 51:1-19 wrote:
Show me favour, O Elohim, According to Your kindness; According to the greatness of Your compassion, Blot out my transgressions. Wash me completely from my guilt, And cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, And my sin is ever before me. Against You, You alone, have I sinned, And done evil in Your eyes; That You might be proven right in Your words; Be clear when You judge. See, I was brought forth in crookedness, And in sin my mother conceived me. See, You have desired truth in the inward parts, And in the hidden part You make me know wisdom. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I am clean; Wash me, and I am whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness, Let the bones You have crushed rejoice. Hide Your face from my sins, And blot out all my crookednesses. Create in me a clean heart, O Elohim, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Set-apart Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your deliverance, And uphold me, Noble Spirit! Let me teach transgressors Your ways, So that sinners turn back to You. Deliver me from blood-guilt, O Elohim, Elohim of my deliverance, Let my tongue sing aloud of Your righteousness. O open my lips, And that my mouth declare Your praise. For You do not desire slaughtering, or I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The slaughterings of Elohim are a broken spirit, A heart broken and crushed, O Elohim, These You do not despise. Do good in Your good pleasure to Tsiyon; Build the walls of Yerushalayim. Then You would delight in slaughterings of righteousness, In burnt offering and complete burnt offering; Then young bulls would be offered on Your altar.

Here is my understanding of Torah Observance in a nutshell (hopefully others can add additional insight) - I study the Torah, obey with a heart of love and submission, and when I fail and sin I repent of my disobedience, ask forgiveness, and begin to obey and trust the mercies of our Father and the perfect obedience and atonement of His Son Yahushua. As our James said in his previous post, it's all about our relationship with our Father and His Son. I have Trust and Reliance that since I've accepted the terms of His Covenant (the Torah) and His perfect atoning sacrifice (Yahushua) that I am now no longer an unrighteous gentile, but that I am now a member of the Set-Apart people of Elohim.

In my studies I've come to learn that the first century Jewish Believers (Ya'aqob, the Apostles, and the Jerusalem Church) did not believe salvation was an individual experience in the manner that we view it. Rather, they viewed salvation in light of the Abrahamic covenant. As such, it was a corporate acceptance by Elohim of all who trusted and relied upon Yahushua and lived a Torah Observent life as He commanded. Those who forsook the covenant and ceased to live according to the terms of the covenant (the Torah) by continued willful disobedience were cut-off from the people of Elohim. That's why Ya'aqob instructs us "that a man is declared right by works, and not by belief alone."

The gentiles entering into the Covenant were (and are) expected to forsake pagan idolatry, adultry (a common practice in pagan temple worship), the eating of strangled (and unclean) animals that were frequently offered to idols, and bloodshed (Acts 15:20). These were the common gentile/pagan practices that were to be forsaken to enable an unclean gentile to attend the meetings of the Jewish Believers and learn Torah observance during the weekly Sabbaths (Acts 15:21). There was never supposed to be a separate religion (Christianity), rather gentiles and Jews were to be the people of Elohim living according together in obedience to His revealed will (Torah) within the provisions of the Abrahamic Covenant and the perfect atoning sacrifice of Yahushua.

I don't claim to have it all down yet, this is just my current understanding about 18 months into my own exodus from the pagan teachings of Pauline Christianity. It wasn't until I began to keep His Sabbath and the Appointed Times, and seek to understand and obey His Torah that things really began to make sense and I could see the errors of all I had been taught. So start with what you know and understand (Saturday Sabbath, 10 commandments) and start studying Torah and keeping the Appointed times and things will start falling into place.
Yahuwah bless thee, and keep thee:
Yahuwah make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
Yahuwah lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

(Numbers 6:24-26)
Offline dugdoo56  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:58:43 PM(UTC)
dugdoo56

absolutely brilliant reply...well done. I intend to cut and paste it onto my desktop so I can keep re-reading it.
Offline James  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:35:07 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Well said VaBlueRidge. The other James is much smarter than I am, so his words will probably be more effective than mine.

I like your last paragraph, following what the Torah says, is the best way to understand the message, and the Author.

Offline bigritchie  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:16:53 AM(UTC)
bigritchie

gabebp wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm truly interested in finding out the truth, but there are many things that don't seem to line up with Yahushua's and Yahweh's teachings, at least to my simple mind:

Gabebp, I will answer these also and leave my words in red.

He says over and over throughout the gospels that if you want to have eternal life to keep the commandments, and Revelations reiterates this. In fact in Matthew chapter 7, after commanding his followers to do and teach the least of the Torah in chapter 5, he takes us forward to judgment day and shows us a group of people on earth that

#1 Call him Lord/Master/Boss
#2 Do many wonderful works in his name
#3 Even cast out demons in his name

But this group refuses to do the will of his Father and he says in the Greek "Depart from me you who are Negators of the Torah, or Without Torah."

This only describes one religion on planet earth and that is evangelical fundamental christianity that teaches grace only and that the Torah is done away with and keeping the commandments is legalism.

We also have point blank examples of his telling people in direct answer that if they want eternal life to keep the commandments.

The Prophets say that Messiah would arise with healing in his wings. This is speaking of his Tzitzits. They are worn on the 4 corners of the garment to remind one to keep the commandments. One of the defining prophecies of the Messiah was that he would heal people with them.

This woman knew the Torah and the prophets. She believed he was the Messiah, so her trust and reliance on him resulted in actions and she reached out and touched his tzitzits and was healed. If she had just sat in her cave and "believed" she would have most likely perished with her ailment. Her knowledge of prophecy and her actions are what saved her

This account is also given in Mark Chapter 7. The entire chapter is about a Rabbinical handwashing ceremony that still goes on in virtually every orthodox Jewish home today. Also the Messiah rebukes them for holding to the doctrines and commandments of men and making his Father's commandments of no effect.

This could also be viewed as "it is better to not sin, then to go ahead and sin and make a sacrifice".

I agree, it does not take 2,000 pages, people need only to read the Scriptures and obey the Creator and obey the teachings of the Messiah. Yada though has taken the time to do this (as has many others) because most people do not read the Scriptures and only view the Scriptures through what their denominations says.
Offline lassie1865  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:20:26 AM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Has anyone heard of this website; I found it to be most informative:

http://judaismvschristianity.com/paulthe.htm
Offline Daniel  
#14 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 3:11:30 AM(UTC)
Daniel

lassie1865 wrote:
Has anyone heard of this website; I found it to be most informative:

http://judaismvschristianity.com/paulthe.htm

Good web site, thanks, Lassie!
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline tagim  
#15 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 7:33:34 PM(UTC)
tagim
Man

Yes; have it bookmarked for a while now. I find it a good read.
Offline JamesH  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 7:24:52 AM(UTC)
JamesH

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Check out the Falsified Paul. http://www.radikalkritik.de/in_engl.htm
Offline BiynaYahu  
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:21:26 PM(UTC)
BiynaYahu
Man

It makes you wonder if Paul existed at all, or if he was a construction of the early church.
Someone who does not dearly love or welcome, entertain, look fondly upon or cherish people with strong affection or highly esteem them with great favour, goodwill or benevolence, be loyal to or greatly adore them has not known or understood, perceived or realized, noticed or discerned, discovered or observed, experienced or ascertained, learned about or distinguished, comprehended, acknowledged or recognized God*, for concerning this, God* is and exists as brotherly love and affection, good will, esteem and benevolence.
Offline lassie1865  
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:33:27 AM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Yes, I spent some time reading "Falisfied Paul" and finished the evening reading http://www.judaismredisc...ic_Ravenous_Wolf_01.html

It is very interesting that no historian seems to mention "Paul" by that name;
some say that Paul was "Apollonius" or Nethanel (Dositheus) http://one-evil.org/peop...e_01c_paul_of_tarsus.htm

Offline sirgodfrey  
#19 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:09:16 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

I decided to take a look at falsified Paul and it is enlightening, to say the least. It is so interesting that the biography of Paul cannot be pinpointed and solidified whilst examining the writings of the "new testament." If anyone else has read (or begun reading it), I would love to hear your thoughts concerning what the author has to share.
Offline RidesWithYah  
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:48:10 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Hey Godfrey, hope you're doing well.

This LIST is pretty good.

I should have read further before posting.
Apparently, it's taken from a book, available HERE free as a .pdf.
Haven't read it yet, so can't vouch for it.

Shalom.

Offline sirgodfrey  
#21 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 5:02:08 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

Some of those certainly were direct contradictions.
Offline Daniel  
#22 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2010 7:44:35 AM(UTC)
Daniel

RidesWithYah wrote:
This LIST is pretty good.

Hmmm, that list seems pretty weak to me.

I hate to be one of those people who says "What Paul really means is...", but for some of the 'points' in the list, I found myself saying "What Paul really means is..."
Nehemiah wrote:
"We carried our weapons with us at all times, even when we went for water" Nehemiah 4:23b

We would do well to follow Nehemiah's example! http://OurSafeHome.net
Offline Noel  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:35:20 AM(UTC)
Noel

Hello Gabebp

I understand exactly your question, and have wrestled with the 'how can God allow such and such to happen' myself.
The way I see it is this:-
First he gave us his word. Then he got someone to write it down. Then he taught a group of people, Israel, to live by it and be a light to the world using it. (I suspect the original is still in existence in the ark of the covenant, still hidden). Then He came and fulfilled it.
This is where man stepped in and started to muck it all up. All versions of anything which purports to be God's word either contain human errors or introduced agendas or both. Our 'bibles' are just the result of an accepted (but not necessarily correct) view of what is supposed to be YHWH's word.
Moreover this is as of today. Things have been added and taken away for hundreds of years. Some editions have certain bits in and certain editions don't. Ergo they can not all be all the word of God.

If you extend the 'how did God allow....... argument, then you have to ask 'then why did God allow a billion muslims to think that the Koran was the word of God (which it isn't). But they think it is, and moreover many of them are so convinced, that they are actually prepared to die for it.

So you could view people who have a certain slant on the bible i.e.'christians' to be no different to Muslims. The only confusion for you and me is that it is hitherto the truth as we have been taught it. It is also very close to the truth. After all they have just believed what they have been taught by their teachers. We all seem to put our trust in teachers, but we should not. We should check ourselves. But as many have said on this site, 'how wrong can you be and still be right with God?'

Having been a 'christian' for 30 years, I know exactly what you are questioning, and do not be discouraged, just go on questioning and you will get your answer. But only believe YHWH and check out everything which a human tells you first. If you trust and rely that YHWH will lead you into all truth, then he will, as he has said so. Some of it comes as a bit of a shock to the system, though.

Noel
Offline Noel  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:04:19 AM(UTC)
Noel

Actually, something else occurred to me.........

I think the prayer Yahushua taught us did indeed contain the suggestion that we observe his Torah

.............thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth...............

His will is clearly written down in the Torah, and therefore by implication to do his will is to do the Torah as best we can.

Noel