logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RidesWithYah  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:22:07 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

The Fall Feasts are almost here.

We usually do a shut-in for Atonement, with fasting, and prayer every 3 hours.
This year, I'm going to ask that we include a heavy dose of the prophets, to drive home the prophetic implication.

Here's what I have lined up.
It's about 70 chapters, so I'll likely pare it back some before the Feast.
But it makes a nice reading list, to get you primed.

Shalom.

(All numbers refer to chapters, except where v designates verses)
Isaiah 1-4
Isaiah 12-19
Isaiah 21-24
Jeremiah 45-51
Ezekiel 13-16
Ezekiel 25-33
Joel 1-3
Amos 1-9
Obadiah
Zephaniah 1-3
Zechariah 12-14
Malachi 1-4
Matthew 24, 25
Mark 13
Luke 21:v5-38
Acts 2
1 Thessalonians 3v11 - Ch 5\
2 Peter 3
Revelation 1
Revelation 6-9

Edited by user Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:30:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: prayer every 3 hours, not every hour!

Offline RidesWithYah  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:33:19 AM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

Just posting an update to share how we observed.

We met just before sundown (around 8PM.) We shared a lesson on the Feast, including a portion of the Kippurym chapter of YY read by our pastor. Before he started reading, he said that before I gave him the book last year, he had “asked God for some backup so I wouldn't interpret it wrong and teach the wrong thing.” (Who is praying for you to share YY with them? Let Yah use you!)

After the 9:00 AM prayers and readings, it was home to shower and back for prayers and Sabbath school at noon. Then prayer and worship at 3 – finally broke about seven; giving us time to get home just before sundown. At worship, we collected the atonement offering specified in Exodus 30 – someone calculated the half shekel to be about $0.88. No more, no less.

I know YY teaches fasting is not mandated, but we do keep a fast. The same word translated “afflict” in Leviticus 23:27 is used explicitly in connection with a fast in Ezra 8:21, “ Then I proclaimed a fast there, at the river of Ahava, that we might afflict ourselves before our God, to seek of him a right way for us, and for our little ones, and for all our substance.” See also Isaiah 58:5. For me the most compelling link is in Joel 2. (All of Joel seems to be about the fulfillment of the Day of Atonement, and it's only three short chapters, so I encourage you to read the whole thing. Won't take long!)

Joel 2: 12-16
Quote:
Therefore also now, saith Yahweh, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto Yahweh your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil. Who knoweth if he will return and repent, and leave a blessing behind him; even a meat offering and a drink offering unto Yahweh your God? Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly: Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.

Shalom.