logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline J&M  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:48:27 PM(UTC)
J&M

As there are are around 3000 Jews in New Zealand, this could have an interestig affect on their decision to stay, or move elsewhere.

I do not have the figures for the Muslim population.

New Zealand Bans Kosher Slaughtering

http://www.israelnationa...om/News/News.aspx/137759

Of course, re the killing of livestock, it only matters if this is really how Yah wants animals killed.

Maybe it's New Zealand's way of outlawing Halal too. That they can't ban one and not the other, may be their "defence".
Offline kp  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:32:33 AM(UTC)
kp

The point, as always, is that Yahweh commanded very few of the specific rules that are represented in rabbinical shechitah slaughtering techniques. I don't know what NZ requires, but here in America, our health departments uniformly insist that the blood be drained from the slaughtered animal, because they know that's the only way to make it safe to eat. The Torah says very little beyond this---most of what the Instructions say about it is symbolic of spiritual principles, not practical health concerns. (See http://www.theownersmanu...5_The_Dietary_Laws.Torah for a comparison of what the sages say and what the Torah instructs.) Further, the Torah's "rules" have more to do with what to eat and how to cook it than how to butcher the meat. The bottom line: folks can easily stay Torah compliant in matters of eating meat without resorting to Jewish Talmudic ritual.

kp
Offline Richard  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 11:08:57 AM(UTC)
Richard
Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Well said, kp. Thanks.
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 10:49:38 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Thanks again for putting things into perspective, and I really hope that this policy is done to deter the Muslims. What I'd really like is an opinion about ritual slaughter done according to Islamic rites in the abattoirs where recorded Islamic prayers are played while the animals are killed. Meat sold in Muslim countries must be certified "Halal" and this is a concern where I live because almost all meat -- except pork of course -- bears the name of "the adversary" on the packaging.

Since such food does not have pork, it's alright with me, but cooked food prepared in Islamic restaurants are not all kashrut as they still eat crustaceans and other vermin -- rabbit satay, anyone? So while I tend to eat at Muslim restaurants because it is easier to find food that is acceptable, I am uneasy that the Muslims are reaching into every aspect of our lives here. I suppose it is only understandable since he is the god of this world, but what I sometimes wonder is whether I should continue to eat at these restaurants. Is the food offered up to Allah and does my eating it offend Yahweh? Does it encourage others to patronise Muslim restaurants? Does it prosper those who hate Yahweh? Then again, almost all of the world prospers while hating Yahweh!

What is revealing is that the people who promote Halal food are the most tainted by his worst religion and philosophies... apparently you really become what you eat! Not in every case, of course, as some of us have been graciously spared from such "contamination" by the love of Abba Yahweh.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline richardgg.nz  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 3:35:57 PM(UTC)
richardgg.nz

Hi
As a Jew living in New Zealand and being a supporter of the current bill. I thought maybe you should wonder why? Animal cruelty is 'Outrageous' (to use the phrase the Rabbi said about our Jewish prime Minister) But what is really 'Outrageous' is the price the Rabbi charges for supervision or approval.
Most Jews here who are frum just eat chicken. Mostly due to the price to pay for a Rabbi and a schlik to come over from Australia.
Like most people i did not pay much attention growing up what sort of meat we on the table, (just was it Kosher- not pig etc) I am sure that Prime Minister John Keys grew up the same!
So how does a Jew survive when the Rabbi loses his job, we still read Torah, we kill our own meat, we continue very well, but never tell anyone. There are not problems in Rabbinical killing here in New Zealand, there are problems concerning the stunning of an animal. A lot of kashrut meat is killed after the animal has been stunned. But here in New Zealand they have only banned the Kashrut killing without stunning.
So what was the problem really? The Rabbi lost his job?
We have a Jewish prime minister, around 6000 Jews and many Nazarenes living here. A few Muslims who mostly are from Fiji or Pakistan both famous for being none militant.