logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Steve in PA  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 3:14:30 PM(UTC)
Steve in PA

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
http://www.isr-messianic.org/pubs/pubs.shtml

Does anyone here have this translation of scriptures?

What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks,

Steve
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:22:07 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If you read through the preface there are some issues in there - like:

Quote:

The Hebraic Roots Version (which began as the Semitic New Testament Project)
has been a ten year project to produce a new and accurate translation of the New
Testament taken primarily from old Hebrew and Aramaic sources. Unlike most
translations this edition will not be rooted in a Greek Hellenistic text. Instead this
translation will seek to understand the text of the New Testament from the languages in
which it was originally written. This is important because there are some passages in the
NT which do not make sense at all in Greek, but only begin to make sense when we look
at them in Hebrew and Aramaic.

The oldest documents we have are in Greek, there is no solid evidence that all of the books of the NT were written in Hebrew, definitely probable but until we are holding that manuscript that pre-dates the oldest we have there are going to be issues. I think the strongest candidate for this I have heard about is Shem Tov's Hebrew Matthew, but we know this to be a younger manuscript although there is some evidence it was copied from a Hebrew source. Any Historian will tell you that you always go to the oldest source, recorded closest to the event you can not make a language preference just because you are "Greekist" lol

The argument that we can not see what was actually written when something was quoted from the "OT" because it's in Greek is a stupid argument, because all you need to do is translate it from the Hebrew - See Swalchy's translations as well for how he does it.

Aramaic and Hebraic manuscripts are not old enough and are probably translated from Greek into Hebrew - probably with yet another agenda behind them, probably messianic.

Greek is a solid language to write in, especially when you are writing for people who speak/read Greek - The scribes got around other issues like names that could not be transliterated because of letter sounds via place-holders. Unlike the catholic church and it's Latin monopoly - the Apostles etc would have probably wanted people to have read the material instead of locking it away in what the Romans called "their barbaric language".

However much I love Hebrew, which I do, we have to look at the solid evidence we can hold in our hands, and hope one day that we can dig up more archaeological evidence for the Hebrew/Aramaic originals/copies of the NT.

BUT other than that, I think I have heard that this version isn't too bad. Compared to things like "The Book of Yahweh" which translates every reference to Yah as Yahuweh. It does transliterate Yahushua as Yeshua which I do disagree with (in my limited Hebrew studies) which I think would irritate me :D lol

I am sure Swalchy can give a much more concise response than I have given.

Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline danshelper  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2010 7:19:29 AM(UTC)
danshelper

I have "The Scriptures" not "The Hebraic Roots Version".

It's my daily reading source and I'm very satisfied with it. I like that the authors use the Hebrew of YHWH's and Yahushua's names - leaving the pronunciation to the reader. I also like that it uses the much more informative and better translated words "set apart" instead of "holy", as well as other better translation choices. The notes in the back are helpful too. I think it is a good resource. By the way, Come Out of Her My People is excellent if you've not been exposed to some of the enemy's amazing counterfeits and abductions of words, titles and practices.
Offline cgb  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:15:01 AM(UTC)
cgb

I've also purchased a copy and am very satisfied with it. Hardbound large print version. It is not the Hebraic roots version. Not wanting to be tied to my computer constantly to study scripture (although I should print out TWTY and the compilation of all the partials in YY), I purchased this after hearing Yada state on a radio show that despite all its faults this is probably the best english translation you're going to find. It was absolutely driving me bonkers everytime I read "THE LORD" and all the other pagan substitutions in other translations. Here's a link to the preface stating its goals.
Preface:
http://www.isr-messianic...oads/ts_example_2009.pdf

Catalog:
http://www.isr-messianic...ubs/the_scriptures.shtml

To avoid slight pronounciation controversy they just use the hebrew characters for Yahweh and the Yahushua. I really like that. Really stands out when just glancing at each page.
Offline Mike  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:04:12 AM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I have a large print and standard print version of "The Scriptures" and I think it is the best translation that is readily available in published book form. Swalchy's and Yadas translations are better but they aren't in published bokk form, yet anyway.

I forgot to mention that "The Scriptures 1998" is available for e-Sword software for free. So if you wanted to read "The Scriptures" before buying a softbound or hardbound book then download it for e-Sword (which is also free). With e-Sword you can also do parallel comparisons with the KJV, Bishops, Geneva, etc.

Edited by user Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:32:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: "The Scriptures" is available for e-Sword software

Offline Steve in PA  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:33:34 AM(UTC)
Steve in PA

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks for the replies.
Offline bitnet  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2010 5:38:07 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

I have had The Scriptures for about 2 years now and it is my preferred book compared to the others. I was fortunate to have met some Messianics who needed a place to hold a meeting and I offered them my shop. They were generous and offered me a few copies of The Scriptures, and I have since given out the books to those whom I perceived to be interested in knowing Yahweh. However, these seeds have yet to take root but I am hoping that one day the recipients will wake up and yearn for Yahweh and find Him in the book.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline highbrow  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:00:02 AM(UTC)
highbrow

I also have "The Scriptures" and find it an improvement. I got the Hebraic Roots Version earlier, but found it to have much of the same language of the KJV. It (HRV) seems to have only changed the names but not much else.