logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Roman Catholic  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:36:30 AM(UTC)
Roman Catholic

Can you please prove that there are manuscripts with placeholders ?

I heard there are no such manuscripts.
Offline Marcus  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:06:17 AM(UTC)
Marcus

http://www.bible-researcher.com/links19.html

Scribal Abbreviations
The early Christian scribes uniformly developed a system of special contractions, or abbreviations, for divine names (called nomina sacra) and other words that appear often in Scripture (e.g., ουρανος, Ιεροσολυμα/Ιερουσαλημ). In their manuscripts these abbreviations were written in all capital letters with a horizontal line above the letters to identify them as contractions, but in this book they will appear in lowercase letters with an overbar. Below are some of the more common abbreviations appearing in the transcriptions.

Comfort, P. W., & Barrett, D. P. (2001). The text of the earliest New Testament Greek manuscripts (A corrected, enlarged ed. of The complete text of the earliest New Testament manuscripts) (34). Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House.

thewaytoyahweh.com
Offline Roman Catholic  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 6:47:18 AM(UTC)
Roman Catholic

Thank you for replies...

So unfortunately the Greek manuscrpits started the edits of God's Name.

Quote:
The Greeks lacked a Y, a H, and a W, making Yahuweh and Yahushua’s names completely impossible to transliterate into the Greek language, except for the vowels of course. But this would completely butcher the name of God and His human manifestation, so it was decided – very early on – that these Nomina Sacra would be used instead of an attempt at transliteration, and coming upon the placeholder, those who were reading them would pronounce Yahuweh or Yahushua’s name accordingly.

Later on the placeholders became "Lord" and "God".

I wanted to prove that YHWH is present in the NT- but now I see it is not the case.

So can we blame the Church for editing it even further?

Or maybe I should put it differently...

I wanted to prove to my fellow Catholics that we should use God's Name...But if it is not used in the NT ...What can I do ?
Offline James  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:14:36 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Roman Catholic wrote:
Thank you for replies...

So unfortunately the Greek manuscrpits started the edits of God's Name.

Later on the placeholders became "Lord" and "God".

I wanted to prove that YHWH is present in the NT- but now I see it is not the case.

So can we blame the Church for editing it even further?

It's not used because it is impossible to convey his name in Greek.

But if you look at where they cite Covenant Scriptures it is easy to tell that certain placeholders were placeholders for Yahuweh, because we can compare it to the Hebrew.

The placeholders in the Greek were a necessity and they served a purpose. They force us to look where Yahushua told us to look for answers. But like I said there is no way to accurately convey Yahuweh or Yahushua in Greek, the letters of the Greek alphabet just don't allow for it.

RC wrote:

Or maybe I should put it differently...

I wanted to prove to my fellow Catholics that we should use God's Name...But if it is not used in the NT ...What can I do ?

You might have a hard time with that no matter what last year the Vatican officially banned the use of Yahuweh in Church liturgy.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand