logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:04:06 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This past Monday Yada was discussing placeholders on blotalkradio and he mentioned how we can confirm what Hebrew word we are supposed to read by referring to the Old Covenant. For example, if an Old Covenant verse is quoted in the Renewed Covenant and it contains a placeholder we can refer to the Old Covenant verse to know the Hebrew word.

A thought occurred to me to see if we could confirm the Messiah's Name of Yahushua. I obviously realised that the Old Covenant does not contain the name "Jesus," but a thought popped into my head wondering how the name of Joshua was written in the Renewed Covenant. I wasn't sure if his name was in the Renewed Covenant or not but I guessed he was too important to miss, so I searched his name and I found his name in the Book of Hebrews. Thankfully, Swalchy's translation confirms a placeholder (ΙΗΣ) is used for the name of Joshua in Hebrews 4:8.

For the reason that if Yahushua* [From placeholder ΙΗΣ] had given them rest and caused them to completely cease, end and stop, there would not have been a discussion about and concerning, regarding and on account of, because of and with respect to another day, age and season after this. Then and therefore, consequently, accordingly and as a result of this, a Sabbath rest, observance and celebration still remains, is reserved and is still left for the people of God* [From placeholder ΘΥ], for he who has come and entered into, gone and moved towards His resting place and state of bliss has also completely ceased and stopped, ended and rested from his works and businesses, employments and undertakings, acts and deeds, tasks and labours, just as God* [From placeholder ΘΣ] has done from His own.

But here's where I'm gonna need someone's advise who's more familiar with Greek. I notice there are at least four different placeholders used for the Messiah's Name, for example Hebrews 4:14 uses ΙΗΝ, Hebrews 6:20 uses ΙΗΣ, Matthew 1:1 uses ΙΥ, and Matthew 1:16 uses ΙΣ. Why is that?

However, in Hebrews 6:20 the same placeholder of ΙΗΣ for Joshua is used in reference to the Messiah:

We have and hold, acquire and receive, own and posses this as, like and similar to both a safe and firm, certain and secure and a trustworthy and reliable, verifiable and stable, dependable and guaranteed, steadfast and enforced, established and validated anchor of the soul and this hope comes and enters into, goes and moves into and inside the inner section and interior that is behind the veil and curtain, where Yahushua* [From placeholder ΙΗΣ] has come and entered into, gone and moved into as a forerunner and precursor on behalf of and for the sake of, concerning and about, on account of and in view of, with reference to and for us, having come to be and exist, arise and appear as a High and Chief, Principle and Leading Priest for eternity and forever, for the unbroken age and the perpetuity of time according to and with regards to, in relation to and with respect to the order and fixed succession, rank and post, position and character, fashion and quality, nature and type of Malkiy-Tsedeq.

Also, why would Paul use two sets of placeholders for the Messiah's Name in the Book of Hebrews, I also notice him using two in Romans as well?

(note: I underlined the placeholders because I couldn't get the line above them to appear)
Offline Matthew  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:36:09 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks Swalchy!

Here's the relevant section from your website:

Quote:
ΙΣ/ΙΗΣ, ΙΝ/ΙΗΝ, ΙΥ/ΙΗΥ, ΙΗ – These placeholders are used for Yahushua’s name in the Greek Papyri and Codex’s mentioned. ΙΣ/ΙΗΣ are used when Yahushua is in the Greek nominative case, ΙΝ/ΙΗΝ are used when Yahushua is in the Greek accusative case, ΙΥ/ΙΗΥ are used when Yahushua is in the Greek genitive and dative cases, and ΙΗ is a special usage used in certain manuscripts, which will be referenced in the translation itself. When coming across these placeholders in the Greek Manuscripts mentioned above, I have consistently used “Yahushua” in their place.

So regardless of the grammatical reason they all refer to one Name, that of Yahushua?
Offline RidesWithYah  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2009 1:11:48 PM(UTC)
RidesWithYah

ΙΗΣ

Does this provide an innocent explanation for "IHS" plastered on crosses throughout Catholicism?
Offline Marcus  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:11:05 AM(UTC)
Marcus

Great Topic I learned a lot. Thanks Guys.
Offline Roman Catholic  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:28:00 AM(UTC)
Roman Catholic

Matthew wrote:

For the reason that if Yahushua* [From placeholder ΙΗΣ] had given them rest and caused them to completely cease, end and stop, there would not have been a discussion about and concerning, regarding and on account of, because of and with respect to another day, age and season after this. Then and therefore, consequently, accordingly and as a result of this, a Sabbath rest, observance and celebration still remains, is reserved and is still left for the people of God* [From placeholder ΘΥ], for he who has come and entered into, gone and moved towards His resting place and state of bliss has also completely ceased and stopped, ended and rested from his works and businesses, employments and undertakings, acts and deeds, tasks and labours, just as God* [From placeholder ΘΣ] has done from His own.

Can you please explain what these placeholders mean ? THU and THS ?