logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 10:07:48 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ok, so hopefully here is a thread we can use to debunk common misconceptions Atheists (any unbeliever really) have with Scripture or a thread to ask questions when one finds it difficult to respond to a notion/misconception/errant-view an Atheist/Humanist has.

1) "God demands to be worshipped and wants us to fear Him through the fear of burning in Hell."

Proof passage:

Matthew 10:28, as per Swalchy:

Quote:
And do not be afraid or terrified, alarmed or scared of the ones who destroy and kill, ruin and annihilate, waste and slay the body, rendering it useless and causing it to perish and pass away, yet do not have the power or might, strength or ability, capability or force, significance or competence, excellence or influence to destroy and kill, ruin and annihilate, waste and slay the soul, rendering it useless and causing it to perish and pass away. But nevertheless, be afraid and terrified, alarmed and scared of the one who is able and has the power and might, strength and ability, capability and force, significance and competence, excellence and influence, freedom and permission to destroy and ruin, annihilate and obliterate, lose and abolish, waste and cause both soul and body to perish and pass away within and inside Gehenna, rendering them useless.

Matthew 10:28, as per NIV:

Quote:
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

My question: doesn't this passage cause instill more fear rather that encourage a relationship with God?

However, I like this passage, since it confirms the "3 Doors".

Also, I'm not sure but from my searches I don't see any passage explicitly saying we must worship God, but only that we should worship Him and not some other god. This is not a command to worship, but rather who one should worship.