logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dugdoo56  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:59:12 PM(UTC)
dugdoo56

Hi all. While I love reading the posts in the Forum and listening to YadaYahweh radio, trying to get my head around the information necessary for learning so I can give an good explanation to others..especially my family, is daunting. There are so many pages in the books available on this website that trying to boil it all down to just the basic lines I need is fairly hard.
Has anyone ever done this?? Instead of pages and pages of material, have just the basic meaning for each subject. Boil it all down to a few lines if possible. I know this would be hard but there are some knowledgeable folk here that may have done this.
I keep saying to myself that I should have a diary with me so that everytime I come to a really important point, I should write it down but then I would just end up with stuff all over the place. Regards to all...
Offline lassie1865  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:59:16 PM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

I understand. I have printed out everything on the FH, TOM, and YY books, so now I have several large notebooks . . . I think I would like to get a small laptop, or electronic "book" to carry around containing all Swalchy's translations, the YY books, as well as Logos. That way I can enlighten anyone on-the-spot.
Offline kp  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 3:02:29 AM(UTC)
kp

Just wondering... Does anybody out there use a Kindle (you know, the electronic book thingie from Amazon)? I understand you can download your own pdfs onto it.

kp
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:44:39 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Actually I use a HP iPaq PDA and I have all the radio shows, all the YY books, 12 versions of the bible on eSword, plus a host of other info. It is highly portable and the 4-inch screen makes reading easy whether in html, pdf or doc formats, and I can listen to all the radio shows with or without headphones. Not too shabby without Kindle. Am now waiting for google chrome OS to filter down to some Android devices to make life more interesting... not that I'll buy so fast but I'd like to follow the technology especially if it involves cloud computing.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 7:30:52 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
kp wrote:
Just wondering... Does anybody out there use a Kindle (you know, the electronic book thingie from Amazon)? I understand you can download your own pdfs onto it.

kp

After researching it, I would prefer the Sony reader to the kindle, but I can't justify the money for either.

As for condensing the material, I don't think it is really possible. I can sum up the concepts, but that is not going to be productive for explaining it to people. If you are trying to explain it to people, they don't just want you to tell them the concepts, they want you to explain how that works and why. Then when you do they are going to argue it with you, so you have to have the facts, and explanations to back it up. The only way I found is to study it over an over, then try to explain it to others. When I was at University, in my education classes, we heard the statistic, and don't know how accurate it is, but I found it to be true, that you learn 20% of what you hear, 40% of what you read, and 70% of what you teach, and that to teach best you should have your students engage in all three. That has been my approach, I have listened to the audio portions over and over, all be it I used to deliver pizzas and spent the majority of my day in a car listening to the radio, and most don't have that opportunity. At the same time I read the books and forums over and over, until I was able in my mind to effectively explained to myself why I 'believed' what I 'believed'. Back when I was an agnostic I would tell my christian friends, that I could not believe something that I could not explain why I believe it, and Christianity never gave me that ability. Finally after I did that I began to try to explain it to others, horribly at first, I had a horrible approach, and was not very effective, but as I went on I learned to modify that approach, and I also learned what issues seem to come up the most, and I learned to address those. As you go you will learn that there are a number of objections that come up over and over, so you know to focus on those topics. I will give a piece of advice, when you are talking to others, focus more on explaining what you believe as opposed to why they are wrong, if you do the other, they will get deffencive and stop listening to you. To quote Dennis Prager "Clarity over Agreement". If you can help them to understand it you will do more good than if you just attack their beliefs.

I can't even come up with a short explanation of why I can't come up with a short explanation. I think the mindset of most here is not short answer oriented, we are all skeptics who need in depth answers.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Walt  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:09:32 AM(UTC)
Walt
Man

James wrote:
I think the mindset of most here is not short answer oriented, we are all skeptics who need in depth answers.

Count me in with this classification
Offline dugdoo56  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:13:08 AM(UTC)
dugdoo56

James..thanks for the great reply...thats the thing though...the more I listen to the radio shows..the more tangled up in my head I get.!!! Obviously no-one has a condensed version so I will just have to try and "nut it out" and write down relevant points. Pity though...Christianity can boil their religion down to "faith" and that is it. We who actually know what the Truth is..thanks to Yada and KP and Swalchy doing the hard work (thanks folks), know that there is more to it..but getting that message across to those cemented in their belief is a difficult job and trying to explain it is hard...it is hard to break years of wrong teaching and convincing them that what they believe is wrong. I know...I couldn't believe it myself when I first heard it!!. Regards to all...
Offline James  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:10:08 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
dugdoo56 wrote:
James..thanks for the great reply...thats the thing though...the more I listen to the radio shows..the more tangled up in my head I get.!!! Obviously no-one has a condensed version so I will just have to try and "nut it out" and write down relevant points. Pity though...Christianity can boil their religion down to "faith" and that is it. We who actually know what the Truth is..thanks to Yada and KP and Swalchy doing the hard work (thanks folks), know that there is more to it..but getting that message across to those cemented in their belief is a difficult job and trying to explain it is hard...it is hard to break years of wrong teaching and convincing them that what they believe is wrong. I know...I couldn't believe it myself when I first heard it!!. Regards to all...

It took me a long time to get it all straight in my head. I read it, and understood part, but I had a tendency to get my mind going on one thing, and then I would miss several pages, so the next time I read I caught the stuff I missed the first, but then missed others, and so on and so on. In fact, I'm sure there are things that I still haven't got, but I can now articulately defend my views. I think the forum is a great place to help you sort it out, I know it has helped me to be able to see where others are struggling, and to try to help them, and I've posted many things that I was not sure of, and being able to see others replies has helped me. Someone may have a way of putting it that makes it click that I didn't think of. I think Ken is great at this, so you might go back and read some of his replies to things you have questions on, of everyone here I think he does the best job of summing things up, he really has a way with metaphors. But in short, don't be afraid to ask questions in the forum, that is how we all grow, and I can assure you from years of experience in this forum, that you will never get an insulting reply, everyone here is interested in helping and being helped, so no one will mock you for not understanding something, or laugh at you.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand