logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline In His Name  
#101 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 5:59:21 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Quote:
Church of England attempts to broaden appeal with songs by U2 and prayers for Google
Christian services that feature DJs, songs of the Irish band U2 and prayers for the chief executives of Google and Wal-Mart are being promoted by the Church of England.

Telegraph.co.uk
By Jonathan Wynne-Jones, Religious Affairs Correspondent
Published: 9:00PM BST 13 Jun 2009

UserPostedImage
Bono of U2: Songs by U2 and prayers for Google: the new Church of England services
Lead singer Bono of U2: The ideas for alternative-style worship are part of an initiative launched by Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury Photo: AP

The ideas for alternative-style worship are part of an initiative launched by Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, to appeal to the younger generation.

OK, but with a message like that what good does it do??
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Yada  
#102 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2009 4:39:59 PM(UTC)
Yada

From the Religion News Service:

Quote:
Friday, June 26, 2009

True Baalers

Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa says PETA and other animal rights activists are "worshipping animals."

In response to a question about those pesky activists who argue that sick cows should not be prodded with electric rods and made to live in cages, Grassley says: "they're not interested in how good farmers treat their animals. You've got to realize that this is a religion with them. They're worshipping animals. And from that standpoint, their goal isn't just to have more equitable treatment of animals. They want -- they don't want animals to be used for meat or milk or things of that nature."

Now, Grassley is an evangelical Christian, so he presumably knows something about worship, what with the praise songs and the kneeling and the imprecations. So, how does he go from advocating for animal rights to worshipping them? Is he thinking of Hindus? Or is he taking a dog-eared page from anti-global warming playbook, which labeles Sierra Clubbers and other earthniks "earth worshippers"?

Is this Grassley's way of saying, "These animal rights people, they aren't good Christians like you and me, they're Baalists"?
Yada attached the following image(s):
goldencalf_260x298.jpg
If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
You can download the free software here.
Hope to see everyone on Paltalk!
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Yada  
#103 Posted : Friday, July 3, 2009 4:00:28 AM(UTC)
Yada

If you'd like to join the YY Study Group room on Paltalk - just click here. The lockword is: yadayahweh
WARNING: Do not give out personal information (name, address, etc.) to anyone on Paltalk - ever!
Offline Yada  
#104 Posted : Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:14:35 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Episcopalians ask who should lead: church or culture?
By Daniel Burke

ANAHEIM, Calif.
—As the Episcopal Church lifted a de facto ban on gay and lesbian bishops and appears headed toward adapting rites for same-sex unions, one question has repeatedly surfaced in the debates: Does the church takes its cues from the culture, or stand against it?

Read full story
robinson_thumbnailjpg.jpg
Offline Matthew  
#105 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 12:41:50 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The Episcopal Church and Romans 1 go hand in hand, don't they?

But check this out:

Quote:
Ultra-Orthodox Jews visit Hamas

Four members of a group of ultra-Orthodox Jews opposed to the existence of Israel have visited Hamas in Gaza.

The men, clad in the traditional ultra-Orthodox garb of black hats and coats and with long side-curls in their hair, met Hamas leader Ismail Haniya.

The Neturei Karta believe that a Jewish state can only be established by the Messiah and thus denounce Israel as heretic and embrace its enemies.

Mr Haniya welcomed them, saying Hamas rejects Zionist ideology, not Jews.

"We feel your suffering, we cry your cry," the Associated Press quoted Rabbi Yisroel Weiss as saying.

"It is your land, it is occupied, illegitimately and unjustly by people who stole it, kidnapped the name of Judaism and our identity." Read on

What do you guys make of this?
Offline edStueart  
#106 Posted : Friday, July 17, 2009 2:20:39 AM(UTC)
edStueart

Matthew wrote:
Quote:
The Neturei Karta believe that a Jewish state can only be established by the Messiah and thus denounce Israel as heretic and embrace its enemies.

Mr Haniya welcomed them, saying Hamas rejects Zionist ideology, not Jews.

What do you guys make of this?

Many Ultra-Orthodox Jews are anti-Zionists, yet are they moving back to The Promised Land, thereby taking self-loathing to new heights.

Sad.

However, while walking towards the Old City one morning (across the street from the US Consulate) an Orthodox Jew (beard, hat, everything), silently, came up an hugged my (obviously American) buddy and I, then walked off. That event touched my spirit.
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline Big Rich  
#107 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:29:07 PM(UTC)
Big Rich

I think you guys will like this...

http://www.dailymail.co....chase--avoid-church.html

Offline sirgodfrey  
#108 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:37:13 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

edStueart wrote:

However, while walking towards the Old City one morning (across the street from the US Consulate) an Orthodox Jew (beard, hat, everything), silently, came up an hugged my (obviously American) buddy and I, then walked off. That event touched my spirit.

dude, that is nuts.
Offline edStueart  
#109 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 1:35:05 AM(UTC)
edStueart

sirgodfrey wrote:
dude, that is nuts.

Jason Alexander, ("George" from "Seinfeld") has become a Middle East peace activist. In an interview on "Real Time with Bill Mahr" he talked about the Orthodox Jews in Israel who say:

"The country of Israel must not be given up..." then go on to say "and it should not exist."

That is nuts!

You can download episode 160 of Bill Marh's show from iTunes to hear the actual quote.
Offline Yada  
#110 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 5:57:49 AM(UTC)
Yada

This kind of reminded me of the "Madonna & Child(s)." From CNN:

Quote:
Angelina breastfeeding statue 1:28
A statue of Angelina Jolie nursing twin babies will arrive in Oklahoma. KOKH's Britten Follett reports.
Offline Yada  
#111 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:07:31 PM(UTC)
Yada

From "The Religion News Service:"

Friday, August 14, 2009

Quote:
Megabucks for megachurch

An Atlanta-area megachurch that covered dozens of acres and became embroiled in scandal has been sold for millions of dollars, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

The Cathedral at Chapel Hill, where the late Bishop Earl Paulk Jr. once served as pastor, was sold to Greater Traveler's Rest Baptist Church for $17.6 million.

"This was one of the largest religious facilities available in the United States," said Matt Messier, broker and principal for CNL Specialty Real Estate. "We are happy to have brokered a successful outcome for a property of this size, especially in today's challenging economic climate."

The 51-acre church campus includes a 6,000-seat sanctuary, theater, classrooms, offices and fellowship hall. It went on the market for $24.5 million in November.

"At its height in the 1990s, the church drew 10,000 attendees, but in recent years membership had declined to roughly 1,000 after a series of sexual misconduct allegations were made against Paulk," reported Charisma magazine on its Web site.
cathedral_at_chapel_hill_200.jpg
Offline Yada  
#112 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 1:44:43 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
August 20, 2009

NEWS FEATURE
Film asks how the Gospel became so divisive

By Kristen May

(UNDATED) Even though he was always taught that religion and politics shouldn’t be discussed in polite company, Dan Merchant decided someone needed to start the conversation.

In his documentary-style film, “Lord, Save Us from Your Followers,” which hits theaters nationwide on Sept. 25, Merchant marches around the country asking everyone he meets why what he calls the “Gospel of Love” is dividing the nation. full story
phpThumb_lordthumbnailjpg.jpg
Offline kp  
#113 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 8:16:09 AM(UTC)
kp

Quote:
"...asking everyone he meets why what he calls the “Gospel of Love” is dividing the nation."

Gosh, that's so dumb. The "Gospel" was designed to divide the nation! Yahweh said to be holy, for I am Holy---Set Apart from evil! Duh.

kp
Offline Mike  
#114 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 1:22:15 PM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Yahushua said that there would be division.

Luk 12:51 “Do you think that I came to give peace on earth? I say to you, no, but rather division.
Luk 12:52 “For from now on five in one house shall be divided, three against two, and two against three –
Luk 12:53 father shall be divided against son, and son against father, mother against daughter, and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law, and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”

Mat 10:34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword,1 Footnote: 1In Lk. 12:51 the word “division” is used, while “sword” has the same meaning here.
Mat 10:35 for I have come to bring division, a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law –
Mat 10:36 and a man’s enemies are those of his own household.1 Footnote: 1Lk. 12:53, Mic. 7:6.Mat 10:37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me, and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.1 Footnote: 1See 19:29, Lk. 14:26.Mat 10:38 “And he who does not take up his stake and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
Mat 10:39 “He who has found his life shall lose it, and he that has lost his life for My sake shall find it.
Offline Yada  
#115 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:05:18 AM(UTC)
Yada

From The Religion News Service:

Quote:
August 21, 2009

NEWS STORY

Lutherans lift ban on gay clergy
By Adelle M. Banks

(UNDATED) After a long and contentious debate, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America voted Friday (Aug. 21) to drop a ban on partnered gay clergy and committed to let people in same-sex relationships serve as leaders of the church.

The ground-breaking decision is a dramatic change for the nation’s largest Lutheran denomination, which previously permitted openly gay and lesbian clergy so long as they remained celibate. full story

The caption on the photo below reads:

Quote:
Delegates pray before voting on a resolution to allow non-celibate gay clergy at the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's Churchwide Assembly in Minneapolis.
lutheran.jpg
Offline Yada  
#116 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:11:25 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
August 21, 2009

NEWS FEATURE

Muslims worry recession may impact Ramadan giving
By Jeff Diamant

RNS-RAMADAN-MONEY

(UNDATED) As the Islamic holy month of Ramadan begins this weekend, Jeff Diamant talks to Muslim leaders who worry that the sour economy may impact Muslims' charitable donations, which are a central feature of Ramadan. full story

The caption on the photo below reads:

Quote:
Muslim children deposit money in zakat, or charity, boxes during Ramadan. Zakat is one of the five pillars of Islam, and some Muslims say government scrutiny after 9/11 has made it harder to make charitable contributions.
zakat.jpg
Offline Yada  
#117 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 4:25:35 AM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
August 21, 2009

NEWS DIGEST

Jews warn Catholic bishops on interfaith talks
By Kevin Eckstrom and Kristen May

RNS-DIGEST-AUG21

Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Jewish leaders warned the nation's Catholic bishops that a June statement on whether Jews should convert to Christianity could make Jewish-Catholic dialogue "untenable."
Offline Mike  
#118 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:20:39 AM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
In response to the Lutherans lift ban on gay clergy article.

Coincidentally or not a F0 tornado touched down exactly where the Lutherans were meeting that day at around 2PM.

Tornado, storms cause heavy damage in Midwest According to the Associated Press: - Wednesday, August 19, 2009:
An excerpt: The National Weather Service received reports of a possible tornado near downtown Minneapolis, where winds tore off part of a 90-year-old metal church steeple. Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois were also hit, though the only confirmed tornado as of Wednesday night was in Hastings, about 30 miles southeast of Minneapolis, where a 100-yard-long swath of trees was flattened.
Jack Freitag said he was standing in the lobby of the Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis when he saw "a wall cloud from the south coming across the parking lot." Then a "very loud roar" came through as he saw signs being blown around in the wind.
The wind tore off part of the church's 90-year-old metal steeple around 2 p.m. while about 120 people were inside, said church spokesman Joe Bjordal. "I was worried about the people then," said Freitag, who told everyone to seek shelter in the church's basement. No one was injured.
Outside the church, strong winds ripped apart large outdoor tents and scattered chairs and folding tables across the parking lot that were set up for the national Evangelical Lutheran Church in America convention. The church was scheduled to serve breakfast to guests attending the event at the Minneapolis Convention Center next door. ---

To see the tornado’s path go to http://blogs.kansas.com/...the-minneapolis-tornado/

An F0 rating for the Minneapolis tornado
The damage assessment team from the National Weather Service office that covers the Twin Cities rated the tornado that touched down in Minneapolis as an EF0, with maximum winds of between 75 and 85 miles an hour.
The tornado touched down at about 1:50 p.m. in south Minneapolis, then moved virtually straight north toward downtown before lifting near the Convention Center at about 2 p.m. The track was about 4.5 miles long, with a maximum width of about 500 yards – though the most intense damage occurred along a path perhaps 250 yards wide.
Here’s a map of the track, which I find remarkable for how straight it was for most of its length.

The tornado looks like a surgical strike to me.

Coincidence or not? Maybe Yahweh was casting his vote. If he was then the Lutherans didn’t count his vote that day. Or maybe the tornado was just a coincidence.
Offline Matthew  
#119 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:14:26 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Check this LINK from the local newspaper, Minnesota Independent, which links the two events, the convention and the tornado.
Offline Yada  
#120 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2009 1:49:27 AM(UTC)
Yada

From CNN:

Quote:
Kennedy sought pontiff's prayers before death
Before he died, Sen. Ted Kennedy wrote a letter to Pope Benedict XVI in which he asked the pontiff to pray for him as he struggled with an aggressive form of brain cancer. President Obama delivered the letter to the pontiff during his visit to the Vatican in July. full story
t1home.grave.afp.gi.jpg
Offline bitnet  
#121 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2009 5:43:39 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

I left a reply on the Minnesota Independent:

Let’s not have the pot calling the kettle black here. We have all sinned! Whether straight or gay, we have to acknowledge that we have sinned and turn away from our ways to follow His Way. As long as we do not, then we break His Laws and Teachings. We can say and do whatever we want but it would not change His Word, which is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. If we truly believe that He is our Creator, and that He has a purpose for us, then we should pay heed to what He said. In this matter, regarding homosexuality, His Word is clear: No! The only outcome for this is death. As for those who proclaim His Word but compromise on other issues, the outcome is the same unless you turn away from your sins and walk in His Way. You will fall, but because you continually desire to be with Him, and keep trying to put sin out of your life He will have mercy if you call out to Him and acknowledge your failures and ask for strength to put sin out. As for those who refuse to acknowledge His Word but instead seek to justify your actions by pointing out the sins of others, you shall share the same fate as The Accuser, who is The Adversary and who mocks The Creator. I have no more words for you. For those who really want to follow Him into eternal life, and who are willing to do what He says, I recommend that you start by believing what He says. I’m not suggesting that you become a member of another Christian denomination or Jewish denomination, but to become a member of His Family by accepting His Word into your innermost being regardless of what your clergy tells you. In spite of all the variances and corruption in the bibles that you read, the message is still quite clear: repent, immerse yourself in Him and you shall receive His Set-Apart Spirit. So when you truly start studying His Word using different translations, be prepared to discover that not all your have been taught is true, and that much Truth has been covered. And the first is that The Creator’s set-apart name is Yahweh and that He walked this earth and sacrificed Himself as Yahushua, Yahweh’s Annointed One whose name means “Yahweh Saves”. If you did not know this before, then with whom was your relationship with? You may have called out to Him by various names and He still blessed and protected you, graciously allowing you to drink from His well of goodness. His mercy is wide and His love deep, but when He reveals Himself by His name as the owner of the well, would you address Him by another name other than Yahweh? But now that you do, the rest is up to you! Perhaps after you acknowledge Him as He revealed Himself (and not how we want to perceive Him) the best way to know Him better is to observe His 10 Commandments. We are so willing to implement the last six of the Commandments because it concerns relationships between each of us, but we conveniently forget the first four that concern our relationship with Him! Seek to understand Him and He will reveal Himself through the first four Commandments. Forget what your preacher tells you about the Law being done away with! Seek with your heart and mind, and be prepared to know your Creator.

I did not mention that sins will be blotted out and covered through Yahushua's Sacrifice and the Set-Apart Spirit because that is a little too much in one short letter. The amazing thing is The Dead Sea Scrolls are bound for an exhibition in Minnesota Science Museum next year! Perhaps this would raise more awareness about Yahweh's Word and cause another referendum.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Yada  
#122 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:33:22 AM(UTC)
Yada

This is a strange story from CNN:

art.pastor.osbi.jpg
Offline Matthew  
#123 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:59:33 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

From the Telegraph:

Quote:
Man killed in church after stone altar falls on him
10 Sep 2009

Gunther Link, a devout Catholic, prayed to be saved after he was trapped in a lift – but was killed when he went to church to give thanks and the stone altar fell on him.

EDIT:

Judging by the previous post as well, we would do well to stay away from religious altars!
Offline Matthew  
#124 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:04:46 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

*bump, edited previous post and it seemed to unregister my post as well as James' post in the Christian Prophecy one.
Offline Yada  
#125 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 4:07:10 PM(UTC)
Yada

Quote:
Friday, September 18, 2009
Now he’ll know

So, the Time magazine journalist who penned the famous "Is God Dead?" article in 1966 has shuffled off this mortal coil. It seems worth asking whether the kind of journalism John Elson practiced is gone with him.

From Time magazine's cover you might have thought the article was a bit of bombastic provocation, the kind of writing you see littered throughout the blogosphere. But the article's actual headline was "Toward a Hidden God," and it was a scholarly, careful look at how secularism, urbanism, and all the other 'isms were changing people's ideas about God.

Here's the New York Times' description, "readers were guided through thickets of theological controversy and a shifting religious landscape. Profound changes taking place in the relationship of believers to their faith were often expressed through the words of people, both eminent and ordinary, grappling with the same fundamental problems. Simone de Beauvoir, Claude Lévi-Strauss, Billy Graham and William Sloane Coffin were quoted. So were a Tel Aviv streetwalker, a Dutch charwoman and a Hollywood screenwriter.

"More than 30 Time foreign correspondents were also involved in the project, conducting some 300 interviews to measure contemporary thinking about God around the world."

Elson, who was "Catholic with a capital C and a small c," according to his editor, labored on the project for more than a year. It's hard to imagine any magazine giving a writer similar resources today.

And the cover query did it's job, the Times reports: "The `Is God Dead?' issue gave Time its biggest newsstand sales in more than 20 years and elicited 3,500 letters to the editor, the most in its history to that point."

You can read the original article here.

time_cover_200.jpg
Offline Yada  
#126 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 3:05:49 PM(UTC)
Yada

I'm not quite sure what's happening here - maybe someone can fill me in.

The latest image from EWTN's home page:

HP_archangels_09.jpg
Offline bitnet  
#127 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 10:03:43 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shabbat Shalom,

Unsure who is who but it seems to me that this is a depiction of the three archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael upholding the word of god, represented by an icon of the world featuring Jesus at the center of it. The RC venerates the archangels on 29 September so perhaps it is because of this timing that this picture came about.
Offline bitnet  
#128 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 10:56:21 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shabbat Shalom,

Regarding the topic "Is God Dead?", I went through the article and read about "Christian Atheists":

Quote:
If nothing else, the Christian atheists are waking the churches to the brutal reality that the basic premise of faith—the existence of a personal God, who created the world and sustains it with his love—is now subject to profound attack. "What is in question is God himself," warns German Theologian Heinz Zahrnt, "and the churches are fighting a hard defensive battle, fighting for every inch." "The basic theological problem today," says one thinker who has helped define it, Langdon Gilkey of the University of Chicago Divinity School, "is the reality of God."

Then there is "Anonymous Christianity":

Quote:
Anonymous Christianity. In search of meaning, some believers have desperately turned to psychiatry, Zen or drugs. Thousands of others have quietly abandoned all but token allegiance to the churches, surrendering themselves to a life of "anonymous Christianity" dedicated to civil rights or the Peace Corps. Speaking for a generation of young Roman Catholics for whom the dogmas of the church have lost much of their power, Philosopher Michael Novak of Stanford writes: "I do not understand God, nor the way in which he works. If, occasionally, I raise my heart in prayer, it is to no God I can see, or hear, or feel. It is to a God in as cold and obscure a polar night as any non-believer has known."

Then there is this nugget of human wisdom:

Quote:
The new quest for God, which respects no church boundaries, should also contribute to ecumenism. "These changes make many of the old disputes seem pointless, or at least secondary," says Jesuit Theologian Avery Dulles. The churches, moreover, will also have to accept the empiricism of the modern outlook and become more secular themselves, recognizing that God is not the property of the church, and is acting in history as he wills, in encounters for which man is forever unprepared.

To some, this suggests that the church might well need to take a position of reverent agnosticism regarding some doctrines that it had previously proclaimed with excessive conviction.

Seems that we are definitely on a roll here! "Thinking themselves wise..."

This is what happens when people do not know His Name. By distancing themselves from His Name, they lost all knowledge of who He is and why we are here. Had they clung to His Name, and revered it in proper context then it would not have come to this. Now, they flounder and flip and flop. And we who are called have little strength to do something about it but do it we must before the appointed time.

One more thing... did the author really need one year to write that article? He should take lessons from Yada!
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#129 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 11:35:17 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

OH NOES! JEBUS IS TRAPPED IN A BALL!
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Matthew  
#130 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:52:32 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

From CNN:

Quote:
Taking aim at God on 'Blasphemy Day'

(CNN) -- In his youth, Ronald Lindsey planned to enter the priesthood, so fervent was his devotion to God. But these days, Lindsay is devoted to protecting a person's right to ridicule, criticize -- even lambaste God.

You might say he is a blasphemer's savior.

The devout Catholic turned non-believer leads a movement that is all about protecting people's rights to speak irreverently about religion.

Further down the article

Quote:
...An Afghan student journalist was sentenced to death for distributing a paper that allegedly blasphemed Islam. A British schoolteacher spent time in a Sudanese jail after she allowed her students to name teddy bears after Mohammed.

These are cases that worry Lindsay and the members of his organization. He is most distressed by the U.N. general Assembly considering next month a binding resolution on the defamation of religion.

All this did not come easy to Lindsay, the son of Catholic parents who bared his soul in a confession booth each week. Later, he studied religion and philosophy in at Georgetown University. The more he read, the more he questioned beliefs that had been ingrained from childhood.

Slowly, the would-be-priest turned into an atheist lawyer -- and a 21st-century defender of time-worn sacrilege.

Should I be more worried about this Blasphemy Day or about the binding resolution the UN are considering? *note, I'm not really worried as Yahweh forewarned us that this would happen, but it could affect the way we try expose the truth of Islam to Muslims.

Pity this priest didn't study Scripture because then he would realise that this current Atheistic movement was foretold over 2000 years ago.
Offline Matthew  
#131 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:44:15 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

You guys are gonna like this one!

From BBC:

Quote:
Malaysia withholds 'Allah Bibles'

The Malaysian government has refused to release 10,000 Bibles which it seized because they contained the word Allah to refer to God.

The government, which is dominated by Muslim Malays, claims that the word Allah is Islamic and that its use in Bibles could upset Muslims.

The Roman Catholic Church is challenging the ban in court.

In another article from the Malaysian Insider it seems like earlier this year the Catholic Church "won the right to challenge the government’s ban on the right to use the word “Allah” to mean “God” outside of Islam."
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#132 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:25:46 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

This one is great.

'Holy water' machine aims to stem swine flu

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/...world/europe/8356002.stm
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline In His Name  
#133 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:20:52 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Matthew wrote:
You guys are gonna like this one!

From BBC:

In another article from the Malaysian Insider it seems like earlier this year the Catholic Church "won the right to challenge the government’s ban on the right to use the word “Allah” to mean “God” outside of Islam."

EXCUSE ME... THEY DID WHAT!?!?!?

They won't use Yahweh's name within their own walls and now they are publishing bibles in Allah's name.

You can close the book (pun intended) on that one.

What are they trying to do take Muslims out of the frying pan, uh... out of the fire um... into the, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

AND so much for the word allah only meaning god generically. Those wiley muslims want to have it both ways.
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline Bridget  
#134 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:55:18 PM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This entire thread is just downright depressing.
Offline Yada  
#135 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:38:25 AM(UTC)
Yada

Here's an interesting story about board games that teach religion from "The Religion News Service":

Quote:
December 18, 2009

NEWS FEATURE
Book finds that religious toys are more than child’s play
By Leanne Larmondin

(RNS) On the first day of her introductory religion class at Merrimack College just north of Boston, professor Rebecca Sachs Norris put her students to work at having some fun.

She assigned teams of three or four students to play some of the many religious board games that fill her office shelves. Weeks later, they had to present their classmates with what they gleaned from each game.

As one team discussed BuddhaWheel, a game that teaches about Buddhism, Norris, chair of Merrimack’s religious and theological studies department, asked, “Can you win this game?

“One of them said, `Well, yes, but it takes a very, very long time! You just keep getting born over and over and over again...

The full story is here: http://www.religionnews....cance_of_religious_toys/
religion games.jpg
Offline bitnet  
#136 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:09:34 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Well, the situation is rather distressing when it comes to using the right names in Scripture in Malaysia. But the history of how the translations came about should be known. After Islam took over the Middle East, it was practically impossible to use any kind of bible without using the name of Allah as the Muslims had insisted on it. So it was that Christians had to use the name Allah in their books, and Islam spread to the Far East before Christianity. So the bibles used in the region had Allah in them. This tied in nicely with recognising Islam as the dominant religion in Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei in Southeast Asia. So all bible translations eventually followed this tradition. However, the Malaysian Muslim government took exception to this recently when some Muslims started converting to Christianity. Furthermore, some indigenous groups in parts of Malaysia speak the Malay language but are Christians and it confounded the religious authorities. In the peninsula, all Malays must be Muslim! If one becomes an apostate, one also loses his/her race and accompanying racial privileges! I suppose this is more acceptable than losing one's life, but some prominent cases caused some jitters among the Muslims and they will do anything to ensure their religion's dominance and "sacred" position. To "appease" the Muslims, the Malaysian government banned bibles with Allah as it was thought to confuse Muslims if they had read the Bible instead of the Quran. Absolute silliness but this is the level of spiritual maturity and intellect of the Muslims here. Especially since most Muslims were Muslims from birth! I'm not an apologist for them but the challenge by the Christians to use Allah is not so much to insert the wrong name but to establish the right of religious freedom to use bibles that had been used for centuries, especially among the Malay-speaking peoples. I had always wanted to write in to the newspapers about Christians using the right name but I chose to keep silent as I wanted this challenge in court to confirm a higher degree of religious freedom. Perhaps after the Christians win (fat chance!) I shall write in to tell them the proper name of our Creator. If they lose, I will definitely write in to explain that this their chance to reprint the bibles with the right names and get to know our Creator better on a first name basis.
Offline In His Name  
#137 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 2:00:46 PM(UTC)
In His Name

bitnet wrote:
Shalom,

After Islam took over the Middle East, it was practically impossible to use any kind of bible without using the name of Allah as the Muslims had insisted on it. So it was that Christians had to use the name Allah in their books,

Wow, thanks for the education. I had no idea. I thought this was a new initiative. I still don't like it, but now I know.

I don't know how well using Allah's name will spread Yah's Word but at least it is confusing the muslims, there is at least some small good in that.
Offline Bridget  
#138 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2009 3:50:48 AM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Whoa..

http://www.dailymail.co....My-advice-shoplift.html#

Priest tells congregation to shoplift ???? Just wow.
Offline bitnet  
#139 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:20:16 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Why stop there? Other possible thoughts from the said priest:

"You can also kill the vagrants and homeless vagabonds as they do not contribute to society. Do not kill those with jobs or families for they are active members of society and contribute in many ways."

"It is alright to tell lies as long as it is to staff of big companies or to the government because they can absorb any losses that may arise."

"Parents do not matter if they do not attend church on Sundays, or belong to a different creed. Give your tithes here and do not worry about your parents because God -- or the government -- will take care of them."

"Why bother what the bible says about the Sabbath? We already keep Sundays, and if that is good enough for us, then it is good enough for God."

"What? God has a name? Well, I suppose it is OK to call Him Jesus. Allah will also do. Any other suggestions are welcome... as long as it is not Mohamed because that would anger the Muslims."

"Lust and covetousness is over-rated. If a spouse is unsatisfied, then there is cause to look elsewhere for satisfaction. Just make sure that money is not transacted because that would be against the law!"

"Who says that there is only one God? The bible points to three and I say there are three-in-one. We've had this discussion before and you can think whatever you like as long as you believe in God. Or Gods. Or me."

As a certain Chuck would say, "WAUGH! GOOD GRIEF!!!"
Offline edStueart  
#140 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:47:50 AM(UTC)
edStueart

Bridget wrote:
Priest tells congregation to shoplift ?

So this joker advocates disobeying at least two of the ten commandments.

I wonder how his wife would feel if he disobeyed number 7?

Does he require his children to obey number 5?

"The world wonders"*

*anyone know the significance of that phrase?
(one point to anyone but Theo that knows the story behind it.)
Offline Yada  
#141 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:43:12 AM(UTC)
Yada

Anyone else see this story from CNN:

Here's one excerpt:

Quote:
Pius XII, who served as pontiff from 1939 to 1958, has long been accused of failing to do enough to help the Jews during World War II.

But the Vatican has insisted that Pius didn’t ignore the plight of Jews in Nazi Germany.

They argue that he chose to pursue a quieter, more diplomatic course of action because he thought any public denunciations he made would only produce more deaths.

The full story is here: http://connecttheworld.b...enates-israel-over-pius/
pius.art.jpg
Offline Yada  
#142 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:54:35 AM(UTC)
Yada

CNN is carrying a story with video of the "priest" who made the comments about shoplifting: http://edition.cnn.com/2...rmon.shoplift/index.html
Offline sirgodfrey  
#143 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:15:31 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

omgosh yo look at that f@**!@# crown. lol.
Offline Bridget  
#144 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:58:57 AM(UTC)
Bridget
Woman

Quote:
"The world wonders"*

Do tell!!
Offline Matthew  
#145 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:28:46 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

edStueart wrote:
So this joker advocates disobeying at least two of the ten commandments.

I wonder how his wife would feel if he disobeyed number 7?

Does he require his children to obey number 5?

"The world wonders"*

(one point to anyone but Theo that knows the story behind it.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_world_wonders

But someone will have to explain in plain and simple English what happened there and how it relates to this priest :P
Offline In His Name  
#146 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:14:14 AM(UTC)
In His Name

Matthew wrote:

But someone will have to explain in plain and simple English what happened there and how it relates to this priest :P

I think it would either be meaningless padding to end Ed's paragraph or a sharp rebuke, I am going for the sharp rebuke.
Offline Yada  
#147 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:44:42 PM(UTC)
Yada

I always get a kick out of the images EWTN caries. Here's the latest. It looks to me like 'Jesus' is holding his own in the conversation. Don't they teach something similar in Islam? One of the first miracles was a 'talking' baby Jesus? Interesting.

EWTN's home page is here: http://www.ewtn.com/
File Attachment(s):
HP_Christmas_09.jpg (307kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
Offline Yada  
#148 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:22:13 AM(UTC)
Yada

From CNN:

t1larg.jpg
Offline Yada  
#149 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2010 6:21:48 AM(UTC)
Yada

CNN carried an interesting story today:

Here's one excerpt:

Quote:
"A person breaks the law by saying or publishing anything "grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion."

The full story is here: http://edition.cnn.com/2...blasphemy.law/index.html
Offline Yada  
#150 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:06:43 PM(UTC)
Yada

From CNN:

t1larg.kumbh.mela.gi.jpg