logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robert9876  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:04:01 PM(UTC)
Robert9876

Hello everybody,

I have been reading through "Chapter 4, Shabat" in the YY Genesis book. I have a question I can't seem to resolve. The following is a quote from this chapter in YY.

The Commandment goes on to reconfirm that the Sabbath is the seventh day of the week, not the first. It is a day set apart from all others. On it we aren’t to do His work or our work. There are six days for man and one for God. “The seventh (shabiy’iy - seven; from shaba’, meaning solemn promise and oath, and shaber meaning to interpret and explain the meaning or significance of a communication) day, the Sabbath (shabat - the seventh day, the time of observance, of rest, and of ceasing and desisting from ordinary labor, the time to enter a state of repose and reflection) of Yahuweh (YHWH) your God (‘elohiym), you shall not do (‘asah - prepare or produce, fashion or finish, advance, assign, or accomplish) any part of the work of God’s Representative and Messenger (mala’kah - from mal’ak, the ministry and mission of the heavenly envoy and dispatch; the labor of God’s corporeal manifestation), not your son, not your daughter, not your servants and employees, not your means of production, nor those visitors in your home or property (sa’ar - enclosed area by way of a door or gate, a household, assembly, city, or nation).” (Exodus 20:10)

The question I have is thus: What is meant by His work? The reason this came up in my head is because of Matthew 12:1-14

Matthew 12

A Discussion about the Sabbath
1 At about that time Jesus was walking through some grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry, so they began breaking off some heads of grain and eating them.2 But some Pharisees saw them do it and protested, "Look, your disciples are breaking the law by harvesting grain on the Sabbath."
3 Jesus said to them, "Haven't you read in the Scriptures what David did when he and his companions were hungry?4 He went into the house of God, and he and his companions broke the law by eating the sacred loaves of bread that only the priests are allowed to eat.5 And haven't you read in the law of Moses that the priests on duty in the Temple may work on the Sabbath?6 I tell you, there is one here who is even greater than the Temple!7 But you would not have condemned my innocent disciples if you knew the meaning of this Scripture: 'I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.'*8 For the Son of Man* is Lord, even over the Sabbath!"

Jesus Heals on the Sabbath
9 Then Jesus went over to their synagogue,10 where he noticed a man with a deformed hand. The Pharisees asked Jesus, "Does the law permit a person to work by healing on the Sabbath?" (They were hoping he would say yes, so they could bring charges against him.)
11 And he answered, "If you had a sheep that fell into a well on the Sabbath, wouldn't you work to pull it out? Of course you would.12 And how much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Yes, the law permits a person to do good on the Sabbath."
13 Then he said to the man, "Hold out your hand." So the man held out his hand, and it was restored, just like the other one!14 Then the Pharisees called a meeting to plot how to kill Jesus.

Isn't doing good Yahweh's work, as Yahweh IS good, and is the utmost personification of what is good? Or is Yahweh's work meant as feeding the poor, or something (But I wouldn't refuse to feed or clothe someone just because it was Shabat...).

I guess I really just don't understand the Shabat...
As of 7-22-2009, 10:19 PM US Central Time

Earliest (possibly)
Time until Friday, September 1, 2023 (Jerusalem time)
5152 days
123665 hours
7419943 minutes

Latest (possibly)
Time until Saturday, October 31, 2026 (Jerusalem time)
6308 days
151410 hours
9084644 minutes
Offline Robert9876  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:15:59 PM(UTC)
Robert9876

So, then, I guess my question is, "What exactly DO we do on the Sabbath?"

As someone who has been a Sun-dayer for the short years I have been a "christian", and who gave little to no thought ABOUT the Sabbath and what it meant, I think that my last question was a better representative of what I really wanted to know.

As of 7-22-2009, 10:19 PM US Central Time

Earliest (possibly)
Time until Friday, September 1, 2023 (Jerusalem time)
5152 days
123665 hours
7419943 minutes

Latest (possibly)
Time until Saturday, October 31, 2026 (Jerusalem time)
6308 days
151410 hours
9084644 minutes
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2009 8:56:29 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Robert9876 wrote:
So, then, I guess my question is, "What exactly DO we do on the Sabbath?"

As someone who has been a Sun-dayer for the short years I have been a "christian", and who gave little to no thought ABOUT the Sabbath and what it meant, I think that my last question was a better representative of what I really wanted to know.

In our house, we stick the the idea that if you get paid for it or do it normally in the rest of the week - don't do it Friday night to sat night.

What we actually do, is chill - spend time together and teach the kids. We make the day relaxed and special, well as much as we can with 3 kids... :)

Oh and we have a "meeting" on Friday evening with Swalchy...

Does that help at all?

I think the key to it is not to worry and not to try and do anything. The idea of Shabbat is that we can't work for our salvation, there isn't anything we can do. That its a day set apart, so we try and take it that way.
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline Matthew  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2009 6:15:08 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
PerryM asked a similar question on the thread The Service of the Heavenly Messenger, it's worthwhile to read as well.

Here's also another thread you might find useful, How do you Shabbat?. I also find the thread living out the Torah quite useful for things Torah related.

Edited by user Monday, June 22, 2009 12:11:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified