logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sirgodfrey  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 7:28:49 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

Anywhere on this site, or any good referrals of Torah food guidelines? Thank you in advance.

YHWH Tsidkenu
Offline sirgodfrey  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:37:41 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

ok, i think i may have found what i was looking for. owner's manual. dietary food laws. hopefully it gets in depth.

ooh knowledge, yum.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 1:33:10 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
*wispers* guys godfrey is talking to himself, im scared...

;) - Glad you found it!
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline sirgodfrey  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 7:57:23 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

i'm only a little crazy.... i promise you can still talk to me.
Offline kp  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:25:11 AM(UTC)
kp

Right you are, sirgodfrey: The Owner's Manual, chapter 5: Dietary Laws. It's only as "deep" as the Torah, which is actually quite simple. In a nutshell, we are instructed to avoid eating meat from land animals that don't both have "cloven hooves" and the gastrointestinal apparatus to chew the cud; avoid carrion birds; avoid seafood that didn't come from true bony fish (i.e., with fins and scales); avoid animals with paws, reptiles, and bugs except those with hopping apparatus (like locusts. Yum.) The blood must be drained. Don't eat "clean animals" if they died of disease, old age, or being attacked by other animals. Fruits and veggies are okay, but they aren't mentioned in the Law of Moses. As regards food preparation, orthodox Judaism imposes rules that aren't even hinted at in the Torah.

For most people in the western world today, the only real issues are pork and shellfish---Yahweh has instructed us not to eat them. I used to eat both; now I eat neither. I wish I'd paid more attention decades ago: who knows what kind of damage I've done to myself. Spiritually, the lesson of the dietary laws is: be discerning about what you put into yourself---not only food, but cultural and spiritual toxins as well.

kp
Offline sirgodfrey  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 2:31:39 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

thanks a lot dude, i greatly appreciate the insight.
Offline edStueart  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:04:06 AM(UTC)
edStueart

kp wrote:
Right you are, sirgodfrey: The Owner's Manual, chapter 5: Dietary Laws...

Hi, KP,

In TOM, chapter 5 it says "Aquatic mammals like whales, dolphins, and porpoises (read: mahi-mahi) don’t have scales, so they’re not to be eaten".

Mahi-Mahi (traditional name: MahiMahi formal name: Coryphaena hippurus) have bones, scales, fins and are fish, not mammals. Best of all, they are delicious!

It is a common for people to confuse "dolphin" with "dolphinfish". Dolphins are like Flipper, whereas dolphinfish are like...DINNER!

Like a wise man said (you), "Don't trust me, check it out!", so here are some references:

http://www.ocean.udel.edu/mas/seafood/mahi.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahi-mahi

Thanks for publishing all of your fine research!

You are truly a "gentleman and a scholar"!

Ed Stueart
ed@theTruthOfIslam.com
"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
But first, it will piss you off!
Offline kp  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:27:12 AM(UTC)
kp

I stand corrected. Good work, Ed. So for the record, mahi-mahi is a true fish (fins and scales) and is therefore on the "okay to eat" list, while dolphins and porpoises are not.

kp
Offline bitnet  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:34:10 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

I think some of us here have had some questions about this before but the general rule is that if the orthodox Jews eat it, it is safe. Plenty of great kosher recipes out there on the Net and I even managed to get a cookbook on one of my visits to the USA. Then again, we can also eat a lot of stuff that they do not eat simply by sticking to the dietary guidelines given in Leviticus. By and large, stay away from crustaceans of any kind, eat fish with fins and scales, stay away from pork and fatty foods and stuff promoted by fancy TV chefs. Been following this for about 20 years now and am relatively healthy compared to my peers.

Now, there are a lot of hidden nasties in sauces and condiments, and even instant noodles have "traces of crustaceans." So, the first rule is to read labels, whether food or personal care products. In personal care products, it's not the seafood or swine derivatives that are prominent but the potentially harmful chemicals produced by industry. Learn to read the labels and understand that these chemicals usually do much more damage than food as it penetrates the skin and gets straight into the blood stream and can cause systemic problems rapidly. If you take care of your body well, it shall serve you well.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline Matthew  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:38:45 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
bitnet wrote:
Now, there are a lot of hidden nasties in sauces and condiments, and even instant noodles have "traces of crustaceans." So, the first rule is to read labels, whether food or personal care products. In personal care products, it's not the seafood or swine derivatives that are prominent but the potentially harmful chemicals produced by industry. Learn to read the labels and understand that these chemicals usually do much more damage than food as it penetrates the skin and gets straight into the blood stream and can cause systemic problems rapidly. If you take care of your body well, it shall serve you well.

Problem is, I need a degree in chemistry to understand what's written on it! Hmmm... I heard a statement from an American food journalist called Michael Pollon, and he say something like this "if your 6 year old child cannot read the ingredients then don't buy it." This guy is very much against food from a box - created in a laboratory - and says we must eat and cook our food the way our grandma's would, good wholesome traditional food.

I don't like deodorant, much to my wife's disagreement, but I can't stand the fact I'm putting something under my arm knowing it's the perfect place for chemcial absorption. What about toothpaste? How did David, Solomon for that matter, combat bad breath?
Offline edStueart  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2008 5:23:58 AM(UTC)
edStueart

Shalom, Ya'll,

Another reason to stay away from pork, and follow the Torah...
(Click here for the article)

Quote:
It's Not a Tumor - Doctors Find Worm In Woman's Brain Instead
[skip down to eighth paragraph]
Doctors removed the worm and don't believe Alvarez will have any lingering health problems. No one knows exactly where she picked up the worm –- doctors said worms can come from eating undercooked pork or spread by people who don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom, according to the report.
Offline Matthew  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:23:07 PM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

The following link is Dr David Macht's 1953 report of clean and unclean foods, kp references it in TOM:

http://members.dslextrem.../hollymick/Macht1953.pdf

Note: file is about 3MB in size.

kp says the following in TOM, chapter 5, The Dietary Laws, in Mitzvah #148:

Quote:
So, does science agree with scripture in regard to the Torah’s dietary precepts? In a word, yes. In 1953 (that’s right, the facts have been available for over half a century now), the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine published an article in their “Bulletin of the History of Medicine” by a Jewish physician named David I. Macht, M.D. It was given the unwieldy title An Experimental Pharmacological Appreciation of V’yrikra XI and D’varim XIV. Perhaps if he had entitled the article The Health Ramifications of the Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 Dietary Laws, it might have received more attention (or have been rejected for publication altogether). At any rate, Dr. Macht set about testing extracts of the flesh and blood of a wide range of animals, including fifty-four different kinds of fish, identified as “clean” or “unclean” in the Torah. Under controlled laboratory conditions, he subjected each sample to the same standard toxicological analysis. The results were, depending on your point of view, either yawningly predictable or stunningly revealing: every single sample that the Torah listed as “clean” or edible was shown to be non-toxic, while every subject tested from the Mosaic Law’s “unclean” or inedible list turned out to be toxic. There was a one hundred percent correlation between Yahweh’s instructions and Dr. Macht’s experiments. Pigs, by the way, ranked way up there in toxicity with rats and groundhogs.
Offline In His Name  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:07:20 PM(UTC)
In His Name

Matthew wrote:
The following link is Dr David Macht's 1953 report of clean and unclean foods, kp references it in TOM:

http://members.dslextrem.../hollymick/Macht1953.pdf

Note: file is about 3MB in size.

kp says the following in TOM, chapter 5, The Dietary Laws, in Mitzvah #148:

That is really cool.

I enjoy the old school science. No computer models, so simulations, just let's see if it hurts the plants.

Thanks for sharing that!
“Because he clings to Me, is joined to Me, loves and delights in Me, desires Me, therefore I will deliver him, carry him safely away, cause him to escape from harm making him inaccessible and strong, and delivering him safely to heaven, because he has known, observed, cared for, recognized, instructed and advised others to use, designated, acknowledged, discerned, answered in, My name, authority, character, report, mark, and nature." Psalm 91:14
Offline bitnet  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:27:39 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Yes, following Yahweh's prescribed diet is a great way to stay healthy! Would you put diesel into a petrol engine? Jet fuel into a diesel engine? That's the problem with people, "If it tastes good, eat it." There's a saying that the Chinese will eat anything with their back to the sun. This practically means anything except man or other full-time bipeds (if any!). While the diet is not really a spiritual law the way Muslims regard pork affecting their salvation, it is clearly written that those who consume abominable creatures will also face His punishment. That's not where we want to be, right? So follow the diet but don't be too particular if trey-fic accidents happen. Just avoid what is not regarded as food and don't covet it but don't be overly concerned if you eat a shrimp accidentally in a restaurant. It's no big deal. Don't throw a fit or theatrics exclaiming you lost salvation because of that dish. Just make your order clearer next time and all will be well.

Another thing to be wary of are chemicals in your personal care products. Shampoos, toothpastes, shower and bath gels, cosmetics, skin creams, dish and laundry detergents, etc. contain chemicals that may cause cancer, heart problems, diabetes, skin problems, weaken immune systems and cause other degenerative diseases. On top of causing you health problems, these chemicals also pollute the environment and kill marine life or cause genetic mutations. So it would also be in your best interest to keep away from these products. PM me if you want more information about this.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#15 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:13:15 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

where do eggs come in on the Torah list? I have wondered this for a while.
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#16 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:26:50 AM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

sirgodfrey wrote:
where do eggs come in on the Torah list? I have wondered this for a while.

as far as I can see they are food - as I can't see us being told not to eat them...
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline shalom82  
#17 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:22:55 PM(UTC)
shalom82

That is...as long as they come from clean birds.

Or if your child asks you for an egg, would you give him a scorpion?
Luke 11:12
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2009 4:16:50 PM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

bitnet, I sent you a PM. get back with me PLEASE. shalom.
Offline edStueart  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2009 4:23:09 AM(UTC)
edStueart

bitnet wrote:
Jet fuel into a diesel engine?

Actually, there is nothing wrong with this at all.

(Theopholis will back me up on this one.)

(Jet engines can run on diesel fuel, gasoline or even alcohol!)
Offline Icy  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:57:47 PM(UTC)
Icy
Man

Quote:
Jet fuel into a diesel engine?

Ed is right about that. I know that on carriers they use the same fuel for the jets as they do for the diesel engines.
Offline Matthew  
#21 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 5:07:57 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

From BBC:

Quote:
Snake-bite chicken 'off the menu'
Monday, 1 June 2009

China's health authorities are reported to be putting a stop to restaurants serving chickens which have been bitten to death by poisonous snakes. Read on

UserPostedImage
Restaurants in China frequently seek exotic ways of preparing dishes

"Hey waiter, I'm getting a strange tingling feeling all over my body!"

PS: whatever you guys do, don't go looking on Youtube for "live sushi!"
Offline bitnet  
#22 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 5:47:54 AM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

First it was fugu sushi... now it's poison chicken roulette! Puts a twist to the game of "playing chicken"!
Offline edStueart  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:47:23 PM(UTC)
edStueart

This guy is saying pretty much the same stuff KP says in TOM, but it is always good to hear that someone else arrived at largely the same conclusion by independent means. Click here.