logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Matthew  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2009 10:06:56 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
What are the best books on the market concerning Genesis and Science?

I know of Gerald Schroeder and Hugh Ross so far. Are there any others?

Also, I've bought Shroeder's "The Science of God" and plan to buy one (or a few) from Hugh Ross but I can't figure out which books are best, especially since Hugh Ross has written a number of books and they all seem very similar in content. Bearing in mind the there's not a big budget.

I can't decide between Ross' "The Genesis Question (second edition)," "A Matter of Days," or "The Fingerprint of God (New Edition)"? Or maybe I should buy another Shroeder book, either "Genesis and the Big Bang" or "The Hidden Face of God"?
Offline James  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2009 9:44:43 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Science of God is the best in my opinion, it is easy to read, and straight forward. If you have read it, then you probably can skip Genesis and the Big Bang for now. I think Science of God covers everything in it in a much better way.

The Hidden Face of God does not really deal with Genesis, but more with the complexity of life and what Gerald calls the fingerprints of God. It is a great read, and one of two books cited by Antony Fleu, who for 50 years was the most cited author on the subject of God's nonexistence, for opening his mind to the existence of God. The other was Roy Abraham Varghese's The Wonder of the World: A Journey from Modern Science to the Mind of God. I would recommend his books as well.

Also the book the Language of God is a good read, it's author is Francis S. Collins was the head of the research team that mapped the human genome.

But I would preface my recommendation with the fact that the last two books, are not specifically trying to reconcile Science and Genesis.

As far as trying to apply science to Genesis I think Science of God is the only good one I have read, most are from religious people who try to disprove science and give absurd alternative theories. But the subject of Science point toward God has many great authors, I would consider the ones I have listed the top, and my favorites.

I will say that Mr. Collins unfortunately is deeply religious now, and at one point describes seeing a waterfall frozen in three streams as bringing him to accept the Trinity of Christianity. But his research and his work is really good and worth a read.

Also Antony Flue's book on how he came to believe in the existence of a God is an interesting read as it is the evidence that lead the world's leading atheist to accept a creator. I can't recall the name right now, but when I do I will post it.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Mike  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2009 9:35:55 AM(UTC)
Mike

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I think "The Science of God" is the best book. I also read the "Hidden Face of God". I also recommend "The Priveleged Planet". Although not specifically about Genesis, it shows really how special our Planet and Solar system are in relation to our Galaxy and the Universe. Priveleged Planet website http://www.privilegedplanet.com/synopsis.php

Fortunately, I was able to check these books out of the library.
Offline Theophilus  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:36:40 PM(UTC)
Theophilus
Man

Matthew, I'll add a vote for Science of God as well. I too appreciated the overview of basic science when correlating Genesis to the scientific record. If you've not read Schroeder before you might detect a Cabala influence.

As for Hugh Ross, I've been working through "A Matter of Days". So far he makes a reasoned case against a young earth cosmology while reconciling the Genesis text as long eons for days.

If you're on a budget, you might try checking at you library system. I asked at mine and after describing that it examined the question of the Genesis creation account with a scientific overview was pleased to see our library order the book and at it to the system.
Offline James  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:53:41 AM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
If anyone is interested, and knows where I can post it, i have about 3-4 hrs of interviews with Dr. Schroeder, done by radio talk host Dennis Prager. These were my first exposure to Dr. Schroeder. They discuss both Hidden Face and Science of God. As well Dr. Schroeder takes challenges from callers regarding God and Science.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:04:41 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Thanks guys, I've done a search for radio interviews by Gerald Schroeder and I've found a few, here's one of them where he just talks non-stop, has a lot of Jewish thought and he refers to the Talmud a few times:

The Black Vault Radio Network
Nowhere to Run (by Chris White) - 11/28/08 - Dr. Gerald Schroeder
http://www.blackvaultrad...om/bvrn/index.php?id=704

Click here to directly download the mp3 file, 60 minutes long at 19MB.

In this radio interview the guy says he created Youtube video clips (10 minutes long each) concerning Gerald Schroeder:

Dr.Gerald Schroeder Genesis & The Big Bang Theory (1 of 5)

Dr.Gerald Schroeder Genesis & The Big Bang Theory (2 of 5)

Dr.Gerald Schroeder Genesis & The Big Bang Theory (3 of 5)

Dr.Gerald Schroeder Genesis & The Big Bang Theory (4 of 5)

Dr.Gerald Schroeder Genesis & The Big Bang Theory (5 of 5)

Thanks guys for your input. If you guys know of anything more post it here. I know none will compare to YY but it's nice to see guys reconciling science to Genesis, it helps to share to non-believers concerning the accuracy of Genesis, the rest such as Genesis being both prophetic, historical and spiritual is bonus to those who know Yah, and hopefully Christians will buy on to that as well, if they can get over the Young Earth Creation theory.
Offline Matthew  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 2:20:47 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Guys,

When I posted my first question I got a private message from Kiwifruit recommending Bill Bryson's book called A Short History of Nearly Everything. I just completed it and I highly recommend this book. This book is not about the Bible, but is about the history of the universe and earth and all those crazy people involved in science who figured out all we now know. Bryson is a brilliant writer, he writes with a great sense of humour and covers nearly eveything, from atoms, our solar system, the earth, animals and humans.

Just browse this amazon link, it has a great excerpt from the first chapter at the bottom: http://www.amazon.com/Sh...t-description/076790818X

EDIT:

Just wanted to add a quote concerning the book from that link:

Quote:
Now, in his biggest book, he confronts his greatest challenge: to understand -- and, if possible, answer -- the oldest, biggest questions we have posed about the universe and ourselves. Taking as territory everything from the Big Bang to the rise of civilization, Bryson seeks to understand how we got from there being nothing at all to there being us. To that end, he has attached himself to a host of the world's most advanced (and often obsessed) archaeologists, anthropologists, and mathematicians, travelling to their offices, laboratories, and field camps. He has read (or tried to read) their books, pestered them with questions, apprenticed himself to their powerful minds. A Short History of Nearly Everything is the record of this quest, and it is a sometimes profound, sometimes funny, and always supremely clear and entertaining adventure in the realms of human knowledge, as only Bill Bryson can render it. Science has never been more involving or entertaining.
Offline lassie1865  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2009 6:48:50 AM(UTC)
lassie1865
Woman

Dear Friends,

The History of Everythings sounds really interesting; I'll read it after I have finished with reading "The Edge of Evolution" by Behe. It is quite detailed, a bit heavy reading, but he describes the processes of cellular change and demonstrates how such changes can never result in the building of new, complex systems. So, therefore, he is proving that one kind cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, "evlove" into another kind, without being specifically DESIGNED and CREATED to do so.

Blessings,

Lassie1865