logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sirgodfrey  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 11:00:21 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

Wonder if anyone has come across the Negative Confession? It's a little eerie because it supposedly predates the scriptures by thousands of years, and one can clearly see that "the ten commandments" or something eerily similar is contained within. Also, the Book of the Dead has a lot of stuff in it that is similar to what we have now in scripture. Can't get into great detail, I am about to leave, but wanted to throw this out there and see what people have to say about it. Shalom.

Hail, Usekh-nemmt, who comest forth from Anu, I have not committed sin.

Hail, Hept-khet, who comest forth from Kher-aha, I have not committed robbery with violence.

Hail, Fenti, who comest forth from Khemenu, I have not stolen.

Hail, Am-khaibit, who comest forth from Qernet, I have not slain men and women.

Hail, Neha-her, who comest forth from Rasta, I have not stolen grain.

Hail, Ruruti, who comest forth from heaven, I have not purloined offerings.

Hail, Arfi-em-khet, who comest forth from Suat, I have not stolen the property of God.

Hail, Neba, who comest and goest, I have not uttered lies.

Hail, Set-qesu, who comest forth from Hensu, I have not carried away food.

Hail, Utu-nesert, who comest forth from Het-ka-Ptah, I have not uttered curses.

Hail, Qerrti, who comest forth from Amentet, I have not committed adultery, I have not lain with men.

Hail, Her-f-ha-f, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have made none to weep.

Hail, Basti, who comest forth from Bast, I have not eaten the heart.

Hail, Ta-retiu, who comest forth from the night, I have not attacked any man.

Hail, Unem-snef, who comest forth from the execution chamber, I am not a man of deceit.

Hail, Unem-besek, who comest forth from Mabit, I have not stolen cultivated land.

Hail, Neb-Maat, who comest forth from Maati, I have not been an eavesdropper.

Hail, Tenemiu, who comest forth from Bast, I have not slandered [no man].

Hail, Sertiu, who comest forth from Anu, I have not been angry without just cause.

Hail, Tutu, who comest forth from Ati (the Busirite Nome), I have not debauched the wife of any man.

Hail, Uamenti, who comest forth from the Khebt chamber, I have not debauched the wife of [any] man.

Hail, Maa-antuf, who comest forth from Per-Menu, I have not polluted myself.

Hail, Her-uru, who comest forth from Nehatu, I have terrorized none.

Hail, Khemiu, who comest forth from Kaui, I have not transgressed [the law].

Hail, Shet-kheru, who comest forth from Urit, I have not been wroth.

Hail, Nekhenu, who comest forth from Heqat, I have not shut my ears to the words of truth.

Hail, Kenemti, who comest forth from Kenmet, I have not blasphemed.

Hail, An-hetep-f, who comest forth from Sau, I am not a man of violence.

Hail, Sera-kheru, who comest forth from Unaset, I have not been a stirrer up of strife.

Hail, Neb-heru, who comest forth from Netchfet, I have not acted with undue haste.

Hail, Sekhriu, who comest forth from Uten, I have not pried into matters.

Hail, Neb-abui, who comest forth from Sauti, I have not multiplied my words in speaking.

Hail, Nefer-Tem, who comest forth from Het-ka-Ptah, I have wronged none, I have done no evil.

Hail, Tem-Sepu, who comest forth from Tetu, I have not worked witchcraft against the king.

Hail, Ari-em-ab-f, who comest forth from Tebu, I have never stopped [the flow of] water.

Hail, Ahi, who comest forth from Nu, I have never raised my voice.

Hail, Uatch-rekhit, who comest forth from Sau, I have not cursed God.

Hail, Neheb-ka, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have not acted with arrogance.

Hail, Neheb-nefert, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have not stolen the bread of the gods.

Hail, Tcheser-tep, who comest forth from the shrine, I have not carried away the khenfu cakes from the Spirits of the dead.

Hail, An-af, who comest forth from Maati, I have not snatched away the bread of the child, nor treated with contempt the god of my city.

Hail, Hetch-abhu, who comest forth from Ta-she (the Fayyum), I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god.
Offline dodi  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:23:29 PM(UTC)
dodi
Woman

interesting

Without studying about it too much I would say it's an evil trap. Satan likes to mock Yahweh and this would be a good way to do that. Even before scriptures the commands of Yahweh existed. Believers during the time that this would be used, could hear it being said, feel comfortable and maybe even say "Hey, this isn't bad" and then fall for the deception.
Offline James  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:02:17 PM(UTC)
James
Man

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 149 post(s)
wrote:
Hail, Uatch-rekhit, who comest forth from Sau, I have not cursed God.

I would say this one is self contradictory.
Most of them seem to be just a moral code, which existed before scripture, Certainly nations such as Egypt had moral codes similar to this, at least under one deity, another deity had it's own moral code.
Remember Satan knew of Yahweh's plan, and counterfeited it many times before Yah enacted it, this would appear to be the same.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:09:22 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

The serpent was active since Eden and had plenty of chances to "inspire" people to come up with all sorts of worship practices. At the same time Truth was also being diluted and mixed up since the exile from the garden. Eventually, you get fables, legends, myths and religion but no relationship with The Creator.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:24:30 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

"St, John’s Gospel begins,
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The Egyptian Book of the Coming Forth by Day (commonly known as the Book of the Dead), the oldest written text in the world, contains a strikingly parallel passage,
I am the Eternal, I am Ra ... I am that which created the Word ... I am the Word ...

Various fishing nets and traps are portrayed on the walls of the Ancient Egyptian tombs. In other texts, Heru (Horus) becomes a fisherman and his four disciples ("sons") also fish for him.
This is another parallel between Christian and Egyptian symbolism. Christ used the symbolism several times and he made his disciples Fishers of men

Egyptologist Sir E. A. Wallis Budge wrote,
The new religion (Christianity) which was preached there by St. Mark and his immediate followers, in all essentials so closely resembled that which was the outcome of the worship of Osiris, Isis, and Horus that popular opposition was entirely disarmed.
The similarities, noted by Budge and everyone who has compared the Egyptian Ausar/Auset/Heru (Osiris/Isis/Horus) allegory to the Gospel story, are powerful. Both accounts are practically the same, e.g. the supernatural conception, the divine birth, the struggles against the enemy in the wilderness, and the resurrection from the dead to eternal life. The main difference between them, is that the Gospel tale is considered historical and the Ausar/Auset/Heru (Osiris/Isis/Horus) cycle is an allegory. The spiritual message of the Ausar/Auset/Heru allegory and the Christian revelation is exactly the same

The thirty chapters of the Teaching of Amenemope (Amenhotep III) contain many wisdom texts which were later adopted in the Old Testament’s Book of Proverbs. Numerous verbal parallels occur between this Egyptian text and the Bible, such as the opening lines of the first chapter:
Give your ears, listen to the words which are spoken, give your mind to interpreting them. It is profitable to put them in your heart."

Found here
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:35:03 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Interesting stuff.

I was dialoging with atheists once and they gave an article to me to read concerning a scientific study (done by atheist doctors no less). Apparently it proves that groups of children will create their own God, in other words the Atheists believe this proves that religion is just an adaptive technique, therefore to them their is no God. I responded saying this proves we are different from animals, we have an ability to connect to a real God, that fact it's often misdirected is Satan's doing, that of counterfeiting.
Offline sirgodfrey  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 7:57:52 AM(UTC)
sirgodfrey

dude, it is very interesting stuff. apparently, these writings and passages that are eerily similar to some in proverbs and psalms (as well as other places), are far more older than the oldest scripture that we currently know.
Offline dodi  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:20:22 AM(UTC)
dodi
Woman

Just some thoughts

The time period of the Book of the Dead was the time period that the Hebrews were in Egypt. Maybe the Egyptians took a liking to the religion of the Hebrews and formed their own "gods" to make sense of everything and make it their own religion. Remember the idea of a single god was strange to them. So, the creation of multiple gods to cover all the different aspects of life would make more sense for them. This would cause the "religion" to be the same but not be the same.

Even before the time period of the Book of the Dead the Egyptians eventually formed from followers of Yahweh. Every generation would have passed down religion because it is the most important thing in a human's life. These generations stemmed from Noah. Noah knew Yahweh and everything that Yahweh taught him and his sons. This would have been passed down and over time things would have been added and taken away. Somewhere along the line people would question things and make their own interpretation and then you get a "new" religion. Look at today. We have how many christian denominations. They all believe in the same god but they each have their own interpretations. Take away our modern intelligence and you could see how people would replace spiritual things with gods. One could see how in those times things that we know as natural occurances like hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. could be confused as an angry god because they didn't know the difference. So in those days how do you explain to others and children why your house was just destroyed by that strange funnel of clouds? You make up a god and say he was angry and that we need to come up with some kind of offering to keep him happy or it will happen again. The creation of a type of false god begins.

*If you look into it from the link that sirgodfrey offered above, you can see the same pattern as the Catholic church. Egypt had a god for each act or thing - Catholics have saints for each act or thing, Egypt has a mother god - Catholics have Mary whom they made a mother god. Just something that caught my attention. There are sources out there that claim the catholics created their religion from the Egyptian religion and stole the names and scriptures of the Israelites so that they could overcome the pagans and Jews. I don't know, haven't looked into this too much*

Also, only about 100 years after the dating of the Book of the Dead, Amenhotep IV and Queen Nefertiti at one point got rid of the multiple gods of Egypt and used a single god like the Hebrews. They still used earthly things like the sun, etc. because they needed a visual of a god and not an "invisible" god. They also used Egyptian names for their "new" god. Can't take on the names used by your enemies :)
Amenhotep IV ended up changing his name to Akhetaten because of the "new" religion he started and is known today as the first monotheist of Egypt. Maybe after being taught the religion of Egypt Amenhotep IV realized that there has to be more to this religion just like many people do to this day. Amenhotep IV (Akhetaten) put the three top gods of Egypt together as three in one (type of trinity/deity) - sound familiar? The three gods of Egypt were the sun god (represents authority and life over the entire Earth), the god of manifestation and the god of air. Very similar to Yahweh (authority over life and the entire Earth), Yahshua (manifestation of Yahweh) and the Holy Spirit (represented by air).

Could the Egyptian religion be the same only misinterpreted and many aspects added and taken away like so many of the religions of today? It would explain the similarities. Is it a mockery formed by evil? Could be.

Another interesting detail. Christianity calls the Egyptians pagans. I'm not saying they aren't or they are. But, the Egyptians seem to be the only "pagans" that didn't do human sacrifices like we know all the other pagan cultures to do. So now, you have the Egyptians with their religion being very similar to the religion of the Hebrews and both don't do human sacrifices. *note - there are some sources that say that Egypt did human sacrifices during the 1st dynasty but they have yet to come up with enough documentation and the do list it as speculation. They have not found any evidence of human sacrifices done for specific Egyptian gods.*
Offline dodi  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:34:01 AM(UTC)
dodi
Woman

Just thought of something else.

If and that's a big IF, the Egyptian religion came from the same religion as the Hebrews, could this be a parallel to the way religion is today? All the apostacy, bringing in of false gods, bringing in of new age? Could there have been Rick Warrens and Todd Bentleys during ancient Egypt? If it is a parallel we know what happened to their religion - it died because the religion of Yahweh wasn't being followed.

Found out something interesting. Egyptians found pigs to be an abomination, dirty and unfit and only offered them as sacrifices to the god Set who was the evil god, the adversary. This Set is depicted as a pig. They farmed with pigs to use them as ground tillers and sold them to others in Egypt who would eat them.