logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Robskiwarrior  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 1:05:57 PM(UTC)
Robskiwarrior
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Owww I would be interested in looking into this bad boy :)
Signature Updated! Woo that was old...
Offline shalom82  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 12:28:46 PM(UTC)
shalom82

I could be wrong but the isn't the yod not redundant because it is needed to indicate possession in Eli (אלי). An example of this would be Psalm 22:2 whereas El would simply just be God?

אלי אלי למה עזבתני
My God My God, why have You forsaken me?
Eli Eli lamah azabtani

I believe that if it was written El El lamah azabtani it would mean God God why have you forsaken me.

So Elishua would be My God is Salvation whereas Yahushua would be YHWH is salvation? Perhaps in that light Elisheba means My God has sworn an oath?

I see that Strong's goes not agree with that conclusion and does not mention the possessive nature of Eli but I have seen other sites that do.

YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline shalom82  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 6:23:34 PM(UTC)
shalom82

You very well could be right. In a related note, I don't think that Elisha is simply a shortened form of Elishua. Though they may be related, I think that Elisha means My God is salvation whereas Elishua means something else. Perhaps, God is my salvation?

I say this about Elisha because the spelling of shua (shin ayin) in consistent with the root word yasha.
YHWH's ordinances are true, and righteous altogether.
Offline bitnet  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 7:57:19 PM(UTC)
bitnet

Shalom,

Good thread this. I'm no linguist, let alone knowledgeable in Hebrew, but it certainly seems to me that "My Elohim is Yahushua" or "Yahushua is My Elohim" would be the more astute transliteration of the name Eliyshua.
The reverence of Yahweh is the beginning of Wisdom.
Offline theHessian  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:15:30 AM(UTC)
theHessian

while we're on the topic of translation, what does lucus mean? i know that luke was the only goy to ever write scripture, but I think that if Yah had chosen a goy on such a big project as writing cannon about the messiah, then the name of that goy might have something to do with blood, family, separation, y'know, the big important buzzwords.

just a thought. I'd be interested to see what it means in greek. I'll check the hebrew, see if it was transliterated.
Offline Matthew  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:21:19 AM(UTC)
Matthew
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've read an article recently, like a few minutes ago, that claims the name Lukas was just his Gentile name, because it goes on to say that many Jews at the time had both a Jewish name and a public Gentile name. We could say in order to live amongst the Gentiles and do business. I'm not sure how valid his claim is though because I'm not an expert in thsi field.

I like your post though, Swalchy, it makes sense!