logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply

Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   Outdent Indent   More BBCode Tags
Font Color: Font Size:
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
FredSnell Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:21:22 AM(UTC)

I sure wouldn't mind it since I miss what Yada is always talking about in, "the chat room" when he mentions it on yy..like I'm missing some good conversation..
Heretic Steve Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:18:29 AM(UTC)

I thought that there was or at least used to be a Friday/Sabbath evening assembly of this board. Maybe it's been discontinued, I don't know. I never attended as I have not been online. I'll post a query.
If not us, who? If not now, when?
Richard Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 2:04:18 PM(UTC)

What Friday night/Sabbath online assembly are you referring to? I might be interested in that myself!

As for building a computer, have you done that before? If not, are you ready and willing to put in the time and effort to research and learn? Having worked as a technician for many years, I can tell you that one of our favorite sayings was, "Just because they CAN build a computer doesn't mean that they SHOULD." Chipped or otherwise damaged CPUs were common occurrences; compatibility issues between mainboards and memory were also not unusual.

If you can do it, and you know how to do your research, great! Have fun!

If you do NOT how to do it, you can still get it done fairly easily IF - and it's a really huge IF - you take the time to do your research. http://www.tomshardware.com has step by step procedures as well as recommendations for hardware.

I'm not trying to throw you off here, but I do want you to know what you're getting yourself into when you decide to build your own computer. If, like I said, you know what you're doing, all is well. If you don't, but you're ready to seriously learn, then learn how before you begin. And don't shy away from Linux just because it isn't Windows or OS-X.

Live long and perspire! Er ... prosper!

Richard
James Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 11:35:38 AM(UTC)

Heretic Steve wrote:
I'm taking my dad out of the nursing home so I can take care of him myself. He's miserable there. Even though he has Alzheimers he can still watch tv and get around but not alone as he gets lost. So I want to get a new comp so we can assemble every Sabbath/Friday evening with the online assembly. So which comp should I get and which internet service/connection? TIA

I would watch the fry's ad and best buy ads and such for deals, but if you are going with a new computer, I'm assuming Windows 7 unless you got the money to go Mac. I would say anything dual core 2.8Ghz or higher, 2GB of RAM (preferably 4GB) I would say if it's an option get the 64-bit OS, I have notice slight improvements with it, and it's usually the same price. Don't really need to splurge on a good Video card unless you are gaming, designing, compiling etc. just for basic use a cheap one works, most motherboards come with a decent either ATI or NVidia card. Without getting into the whole AMD vs Intel debate, I will say just get the fastest processor for the cash, so if the AMD is a better deal get it if the Intel is the better deal get it. Anything else depends on what you are wnating to do, so you may or may not want a DVD-RW (most come with them anyways).

An alternative is go guild a real cheap one and throw Linux on it, the same specs would apply.

As for internet, it depends on what is available in your area. I personally have 1MB DSL, and it does just fine.
Don't take my word for it, Look it up.

“The truth is not for all men but only for those who seek it.” ― Ayn Rand
Heretic Steve Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 10:44:02 AM(UTC)

I'm taking my dad out of the nursing home so I can take care of him myself. He's miserable there. Even though he has Alzheimers he can still watch tv and get around but not alone as he gets lost. So I want to get a new comp so we can assemble every Sabbath/Friday evening with the online assembly. So which comp should I get and which internet service/connection? TIA
If not us, who? If not now, when?